Sign in to follow this  
laserman70

question about t-shirts

Ok I purchased the heat transfer paper for my color laser.  I did a few shirts that looked great, well put them in the wash and they have cracks all through them.  Is this normal or am I not heating for long enough or what could I be doing wrong?

thanks

Gregg

That depends on the quality of the paper. Personally I dont like transfers, they crack as you have seen. But it should not happen the first time. They should last a while, with a little color fade with every wash, but they should hold. It could be that you are not giving it enough time and/or pressure. Did you follow the sellers instructions? What brand are you using? Do you have enough pressure in your press?

My Wife and I have only been doing shirt transfers for about 6 months, we have used a few different types of paper, now we just purchased a 24" laser cutter suppose to have it Thursday. My question is, what paper or vinyl is there out there, that will allow me to print on it with my ink jet printer and then have it cut out with the laser cutter?

I am new to this forum also, I tried to search and look around for some suggestions but really didn't find a direct answer, so I thought I would add it on here, I think it fits the topic. Also I would like to know what all I need to order so when the cutter is all set up I have what I need. Do I need to buy weeding tools? What about vinyl for shirts? Any help would be greatly appreciated, we are truly new to all this and need some expert advice, escpecialy on paper that can be printed on then cut.

As for the first post about the cracking I would also like to know more details about his process and paper. Like I said My wife and I have only been doing this for about 6 months but we have done about 200 shirts and about the same in hats. We have had no complaints and have had repeat customers, so we must be doing something right. I hardly consider myself someone qualified to give advice but if I can help someone I will give my 2 cents worth.

D

The cracking was because it was not cured (heated) long enough. Use some temp strips to figure out your needed time under the press.

Larry C

"Latitude 42 Screen Printing & Vinyl Graphics"

Hi , Im new to the bis too, but I had the same problen with inkjet transfer paper too. I bought some quite a while ago & had no problems withit. After not using it for about 3 to4 months I did another shirt & it did the same thing after 2 washes I think the paper got old ,or I didnt seal up the zip lock it came in good. I decided not to use this old stuff to sell to anyone. I dont know if heating it longer or pressure would change anything. Just my 2c.