motoxchic

Waiting to mask, how to store, timeframe, etc

I have a few general questions about weeding and masking.  Some are 12x12" logos, some graphics are larger format text....

* How long is too long to wait to weed?  I try to do it after cutting to keep it from "melding" back together.

* How long can a weeded graphic sit without masking, and how do you roll it up (words on the outside would seem the most natural way)?

* After masking, how to you store your graphic?  Roll...Flat?  Seems the transfer gets a little "scrunchy" if I roll it.

I try not to wait too long to weed.  If I know I'm not going to get to a fresh-cut graphic right away, I'll weed the outside only and store it flat (especially text).  I also try not to make too many for stock, mainly just do decals as they're ordered.

When I roll for shipment, definitely graphic outside so when it's unrolled, the sides are curled downward and easier to manage.

Thanks for the info.  I try to weed right away, then just roll it up, letters out, and put it up until I can mask a bunch at a time.  I am trying to get a jump on some large banners, but my mask wont be here until the end of the week. 

I also have a truck graphic (for us) that is cut, but not masked.  It will be a while before it goes on, is it better to leave it weeded with or without mask for several months?

if you can't  wait the week or so to get your mask, I have went to the local parts store and picked up some paint mask and it worked well. Not the frisket but it is a brown paper type with a light adhesive. As for storage i would say no mask till they were ready to use.  I have some i did a year ago and they are stuck to each other  and a pain to get on the car.

I have some other mask I can use, but was wanting to wait for the Main Tape that is coming.  My banners are also coming with the transfer, so I really dont need to mask until they both arrive.  Just wanted to make sure they best way to store them.  Good to know on the year old masked stuff...i will wait to mask those graphics :)

• Like 1