Sign in to follow this  
TinyTears

Troubles Learning Sign Blazer

Hi,

Just some basics, just got my software.  I tried to draw a line, a profile where I was going to add more inside.  I completed the line so it was a closed loop, and all of a sudden in filled with color.  I just want a fat line, no fill.  I want the middle blank so I can add more.  I tried adding a box over the color.  I could make a box but then I couldn't edit it.  I tried moving the colored profile to the back but I still couldn't do anything with the box.  The basic question is: how can I do some line sketching?

I tried to vectorize a .jpg.  It wouldn't let me, said something like it was a colored graphic.  Can't I import an image and then explode it in pieces to be manipulated?

Also, it seems the software is made to cut vinyl pieces so they can be laid up on each other to make a sign.  I was hoping I could do some plotting too, just draw some lines on paper.  How do I do that?

I imported a .dxf file.  It came up with all sorts of lines that I couldn't seem to connect.  Any hints on working with .dxf?

Another: I tried to load drivers so I could plot directly from my Rhino 3d software but the disc that came with the cutter doesn't seem to have any drivers.  Can I only use my machine using SignBlazer, which initially I don't like.  I am used to using software line SoldiWorks, Autocad, Rhino.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I just want to get started.

Thanks,

John B.

Hi,

I'm having trouble with Rhino.  I do either "save as" or "export" to .dxf.  I put in AutoCad V12 (I'm not sure what "natural" is).  It saves everything in millimeters.  I can't seem to get it to save in inches.

However, I did get one file to size correctly in SignBlazer, but I still have trouble with the lines behind the big profile that covers the whole workspace.  I can see the lines but I can't highlight them to manipulate them.

Thanks for your help

To vectorize a jpg, after you import it, you then need to convert it to monochrome.

To do this, you go to the Image menu, then Mode, and click on Monochrome

If you are importing a .dxf you should make sure that it is being saved in the old AutoCAD format.

I like using Rhino3D and you will need to do the following, so that you can import it right:

1. File -> Save As

2. Select DXF as you file type

3. Then on the Export Scheme, select R12 Natural

Hope that helps

I tried to monochorme my jpg the other day with no success. I am goint to try again Monday afternoon.

Any other tips on doing this?

OBoy I did what you said saving as dxv files and now I have lost all of my saved stuff in my vectorized folders. What happened?

No expert on Sign Blazer I only use it for cutting. I use CorelDRAW X4 to create vector files. But have also use the free program Inkscape and it work very well especially for the price. Do a search for it here on the board and you will find the link to download it.  Not sure how good the help files are because it is a lot like CorelDraw so I have not use help but if help is like the rest of the program should be good.

KeithH