Sign in to follow this  
polert

For new PC what features for graphics art programs?

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a new PC, and would like advice on what features to aid in graphic arts. I want the best bang for the buck, and do not need top of the line. Last PC purchase was 1998, and I have not keep up on all the pros, and cons of different models with operating software. I was at best buy yesterday to bring myself up to speed on the market which pretty much has taken a 180 from 1998 where they want to give you a ton of software, and charge a good price, to today where you get zero software, and a so called lower price. Thanks for advice.

You'll want a computer that comes with a vector based program. I have not seen any computers out now that come with any, but I don't look that hard. You can probably get Photo Shop with one and it may help you a little.

Guest fivestar

I'd say to build your own, but if you can't do that then go with something with a dual core processor and get at least 2 GIG of RAM and the biggest hard drive they have.  Also try to get one with XP instead of Vista as Vista still has issues with a bunch of programs and if you're not computer savvy it is hard to figure them out.

I prefer AMD over Intel but alot of people like Intel, in your case it doesn't matter which one you get, just the AMD should be a little cheaper.

I use Corel Draw for almost all my vector images, but there is Adobe Illistrator (expensive) and alot of others out there.

well...fivestar beat me....lol

At the very least make sure it has 2gb of memory. I personally do not buy off the shelf computers because you don't really know the quality of the components thrown into them plus all the extra crap they throw in that slows down the system. You could always check out a barebones kit form tigerdirect if you're the adventorous kind. It could really save you money and let you put more money into the parts that really matter.

Not very cheap but I always buy gaming computers, they can do just about anything.

Guest Terry

I'd say to build your own, but if you can't do that then go with something with a dual core processor and get at least 2 GIG of RAM and the biggest hard drive they have.  Also try to get one with XP instead of Vista as Vista still has issues with a bunch of programs and if you're not computer savvy it is hard to figure them out.

I prefer AMD over Intel but alot of people like Intel, in your case it doesn't matter which one you get, just the AMD should be a little cheaper.

I use Corel Draw for almost all my vector images, but there is Adobe Illistrator (expensive) and alot of others out there.

I agree, But AMD is going out of business. I like Intel myself.

Dell actually has some pretty good deals in the $500 to $600 price range that include a monitor. (and a warranty) For this type of thing you don't need all the bells and whistles. The only reason I would purchase a gaming computer is if I planned on playng games. They ding you so much more for the high end new technology that most people never use. I do agree to stay away from Vista for now. It's still too new. a lot of your old programs will not work with it.

Guest fivestar

LMAO, AMD will not be going out of business.  I know they are going through some rough times, but they will pull through. 

Guest Terry

I.m just saying I seen it on a list of companies that most likely would not make it past two more years. See if I can find it again, I think it was on AOL news?