Sign in to follow this  
Alillowr

Copyright Logos

Ive been lurking for quite a while but this is my first post.  I know that selling copyright logos without permission is illeagle but how about a jazzed up version.  Call me wierd but I used to draw up logos of things I liked during class and alter them (spoofs, add designs, flames, pictures) in the background.  I purchased a plotter on ebay and picked it up at there warehouse in Woodinville.  :clap: I got to do a little chatter but all in all they were good people. I feel like a kid again.  Now I have printed a couple designs for my own personal use but would it be illeagle to sell because they still resemble the original logo?  I guess what I am asking is where is the cutoff point.  I think my designs(or add ons whatever you want to call them) look good and some extra cash on the side wouldnt hurt.  thanks in advance.  Any info appreciated

Copy right infringement is copy right infringement....no grey scale there.

mark-s

custom designs of any copyright , is NOT infrigement !!!!!!    GO FOR IT !!!!    MAKE A BUCK OR TWO.  People are just chicken shiit to do it !!!!!

I'm with Mark on this one... Just cause you add a flame or something to the Nike logo doesn't change the fact that it's still Nike's name (which is copyrighted).

I think I am going to have to agree with you guys that it will still be infringement after some thought.  I guess the only reason why I thought that it might be ok was because I saw it all over the net from ebay to craigslist with logos that people added graphics too.  I convinced myself that those people just either havent gotten caught yet, have permission, or just plain dont care.  I was reading somewhere that someone said its not very hard to get permission for a lot of logos so I am gonna try and go that route, so if anyone has any sites or info of how to get a hold of companies id appreciate it.  I figure some of the bigger ones would be pretty hard to find the right person to ask that would have a say so on it.

When I got my A.S. in Graphic Design we took some Corporate Identity classes that dealt with copyrighted material. It's been a while but from what I remember if you change the copyrighted design a certain percentage (can't remember how much) then it is not considered infringement. Also, adding objects to a design doesn't always mean the same as changing it, meaning that if you just added objects to it, the original design is still there which I would consider to be infringement. Hope that made some kind of sense. The conditions of using copyrighted designs can be real confusing. I've heard of businesses getting sued even when they were told by a lawyer that their design was legal to use. I've also seen many people get away with using copyrighted designs without any modification at all. I guess what I'm saying is that if you have any doubt, I would think twice about using the design. Hope this helps a little.

PEACE,

CUTRIX

I have a little experience in this area.

I'm not going to get all technical here to only make it more confusing.

Say you take the Pepsi logo (font) and re-letter it. This does not cross intellectual property rights which are much more strict than copy rights.

Yet if you take the Nike Logo and Do the same to the letters and use the swoosh art un altered it's on the thin line.

I have seen (and if you have ever applied for a copy right) if the "copy" is less than more verbatim to the product/s trade mark etc then it's not in default.

The biggest thing company

Thanx for the info guys.  Sounds like a big headache just to stay on the safe side of the fine line so I am abandoning it altogether and will probably only keep my created art for personal use.  I was planning on selling the art on ebay but I dont want to be on the edge of my seat worrying wether or not I would get in trouble.  My next Idea is keep the same creativity but with public domain clip art.  Correct me if I am wrong but there are sites with legal copyright free clip art?  Where the creater openly donates the image to do with what you like.  Please tell me there are sites like these and if you know of any recomondations would be gladly appreciated.  If there isnt any then i guess I will just have to learn to create things from scratch.

Theres a place called uscutter, they have a forum and theres a graphic request info. Users there share what they have and you can use those if you want. Also some of us have posted links os sites where you can get this kind of files. Just do a search and youll find them.

Thanx for the info guys.  Sounds like a big headache just to stay on the safe side of the fine line so I am abandoning it altogether and will probably only keep my created art for personal use.  I was planning on selling the art on ebay but I dont want to be on the edge of my seat worrying wether or not I would get in trouble.  My next Idea is keep the same creativity but with public domain clip art.  Correct me if I am wrong but there are sites with legal copyright free clip art?  Where the creater openly donates the image to do with what you like.  Please tell me there are sites like these and if you know of any recomondations would be gladly appreciated.  If there isnt any then i guess I will just have to learn to create things from scratch.

Be careful.. Some sites offer "free" but come with small print such as for personal use only.