Sign in to follow this  
mcpreacher

one more time?

several years ago I bought an mh721 cause it was all I could afford. I ran a part time sign business for about 4 years. My business became full time out of necessity for about 12 months of that time. I'd like to say my 721 performed flawlessly the whole time, but that would be a gross exageration. It did, however, with a lot of tweeking and babying, support me and my wife through some otherwise very lean times. Yes, it was my only cutter, and yes, I am very satisfied with its performance for the price.

Now it's in a coma, and I'm contemplating whether or not to pull the plug. I am again in very tight financial straights, and the low price of the mh is tempting me to replace it with the same thing again. but before I do, I'd like to address a couple of ongoing problems I've had. Are these common problems with the mh series or was it just a fluke, and are there remedies?

1) I never did get it to operate on the usb connection to my computer. I was using a desk top at the time and finally installed a serial port in the pc to accomodate it. (Yes, I did contact uscutter support, and they said it just wasn't really made to work with usb, even though it was sold that way. the serial port was their suggestion)

I'm using a lap top now so that's out of the question. this is the big question for me. Has the usb interface problem been remedied in currently available mh721's? or is there an apapter or something that wiill actually work?.

2) on large (especially on long cuts) cuts, it would sometimes just act like a tilted pinball machine and the carriage would run off the vinyl on the left. I'd have to turn it off, reboot it, throw away the ruined vinyl and start over. This happened often when trying to cut a long pattern like auto pinstripes.

I always assumed this was due to a shortage of memory. Does that sound reasonable, and if so is the extended memory chip still available? I don't see it on any of the parts lists anymore.

I guess those are my 2 biggest concerns, with the usb compatability being the most important. has anyone else had these prob lems? if so is there an easy fix? I really can't afford a better cutter right now, and I have to do something. I have been very satisfied with the performance of the 721, but if it's not going to work on usb, then I can't use it. all input would be very much appreciated.

i have the mh721 and use a laptop with usb connection and vista 7 with no problems....as far as the vinyl running offline...i just auto feed it out a few feet to see that its tracking straight and that works for me...i do believe the unit itself is a good unit..ive had mine since jan 08..still going strong

I still think the USB connection is a crapshoot. You can get around that with the keyspan (usb to serial) adapter if it doesn't work. The better machines have a lot better tracking but if it's all you can afford and it's worked before, go with it. You can always save you profits and upgrade.

thanks, I thought the keyspan adapter should work, but I wasn't sure, and I can't afford to gamble on it right now. I think I'm gonna do it "one more time."

Does anyone know if the extra memory is still available?

thanks again.

preacher