Sign in to follow this  
Dsigns4U

Your sign sales process?

Lately I've run into a few issues with the way I've been doing business. I've had customers approving on work they later said wasn't right, had customers not pick up their orders or not pay/approve on a design at all and then getting all PO'd when they come back to find nothing has been done. The walk in customers are usually much better to deal with than phone and internet ones.

Heres how my process goes (I have share a storefront with my dad and our archery shop too)

Customer calls/emails me, I write down all their details, ask them all the important questions pertaining to design, color, dimensions, all that. I design up their sign (or whatever it may be) and send them a picture took from either using print screen or using my phone camera (Droid X Camera FTW) to their email/phone. After that they approve or we make changes. The problem I run into is when a customer approves their work then later claims after its built that it wasn't correct when they have clearly seen themselves how the sign will look or the wording will be. How do I deal with these customers? Also, how can I have these people pay half or more upfront over the phone? I live in a small town in North East Arkansas so the big jobs I get are usually from farmers or church officials.

Another thing, would having the person have to physically sign a release before the design is created holding them liable once they approve a design? Would this be a good route to go? I do my best to make things right for little to no cost if there is a mistake but I'm almost through with that as I have been took in the past trying to do the right thing for people.

Thanks for any input and I hope my question wasn't too hard to understand lol

You can send them a proof for approval instead of a picture off of your camera phone. Send them a PDF along with an approval form which they can sign and send back to you. This gives you the thumbs up and the go ahead to continue on, and also eliminates problems in the future.

As far as people not paying and such, taking a deposit is a possible option; 50% upfront can work. I suggest doing all material and labor costs + 15% for your deposit, if that ends up being less than 50% of total cost. A lower deposit is better, and as long as you make your money back and then some, you wont be completely out.

We make everyone put half done to begin the process! This is crucial or they could just walk away. We provide a proof and a contract that is signed prior to us starting. This proof has their PMS colors etc... I also show examples of what the finished product should look like prior to them signing off. Rarely do we have a issue.

http://www.source4signs.com/soi.aspx