Sign in to follow this  
slopchops

Painted Vinyl wrinkling problem.

I read here where someone was air brushing vinyl. OK what kind of paint did you use?

I just did a small practice job using KYRLON spray paint in a can. I always heard it would work.

OK I cleaned the vinyl with alcohol and gave it three light coats of paint.

I let dry a couple hours as per instructions and over laid my painted object with a couple coats of clear.

Dried over night and then installed over a unpainted vinyl object.

Everything was fine but the next day my painted vinyl wrinkled. Putting in pin holes to squeeze out the air did nothing.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

This paint is also coming off easily.

Does anyone ever paint on vinyl?

I know there is a vinyl silk screen paint out for silk screening.

Guest Terry

I airbrush vinyl all the time, I have used all different type paints mostly automotive. I would say your first mistake was using the alky. I use HOK paint and Auto Air mostly.

Guest Terry

This semi has one sheet of black vinyl wrapped, it was done to save cost on prep, time, and paint work. It was then airbrushed with graphics over the top of the vinyl. Auto Air is non toxic water base and can be top coated with any clear. The semi was done by a guy on my airbrush forum I belong to. He did a bunch of them. Here is the best site to buy from.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autoaircolor/

post-0-12986515167691_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986515186461_thumb.jpg

Guest fivestar

I have done some krylon painted vinyl and have never had any problems with it wrinkling.  I think Terry is right, the alcohol may be where you problem lies.  I've just always wiped it down with water and a towel.  One other thing, they say krylon fusion is the best to use, but I have used both and they both seen to work good for me.

The semi was done by a guy on my airbrush forum I belong to. He did a bunch of them.

AWESOME!!!! WOW!!!

I want that on my Rav4  :woohoo: