tsmart

Need your tips on 'wet' application

Ok as some of you may know i had posted up here a few days ago about a shop front im doing, was going to make artwork to stick on front bottom half of winow then paint black behind the stickering 1 meter from ground up,

plans have changed, i an now going to use black vinyl to do this, why you ask, as ths is where the bench will be going in the shop for customers to eat, if they hit the window with feet, it may damage paint.

Peice of mind the artwork will all be layed on from inside shop, so it will be mirror cut !

FIrst of all in flexisign i have designed my black layer of vinyl 2400mm wide, 1 meter higher, although i will probably use the 600mm roll and make a 400mm join up top to complete the 1000mm.

I have put my text in flexisign over the black vinyl, and then compounded the text through, so it will be see through when plotted on the black, once ive layed the black vinyl over the window i will then stick on my text in the clear sections corresponding to the text

As for the black vinyl at bottom of window, it will be layed on wet.

Here are my questions:

1- I will be cutting the strip of 2400mm black (I am using Metamark M7 Vinyl), Should i wet spray the whole window and do one half at a time, start from middle out to the left, then out to the right? Any tips on this to make it easier?

2- I will be application taping the black strip vinyl prior to application. Should i use a low tack application tape or will it not matter? Use clear or paper tape?

3- Take off application take straight away? or after some time?

4- The lettering going inside the compound will also be Metamark M7 in orange, should i apply this wet too, slide into position and squeegee soapy water out?

5- Should i make the orange vinyl letters slightly (1mm or so) bigger or smaller than the compound that's cut through the black? Or make/leave it EXACT same size?

Have attached example images of the signs im doing.

Any other tips you know of would be very highly appreciated!!

Thanks again

post-3756-0-11765100-1303720616_thumb.jp

post-3756-0-70955300-1303721085_thumb.jp

Hey there I guess I dont quite understand where your going with cutting out the compound and trying to line up the letters? I would cut the letters lay them on and lay the black over top of that. Looks much more finished and professional plus take ALOT less time and effort then sitting there trying to line up all the letters. As far as application goes I always suggest a dry app. using the hinge method it takes a little getting used to but youll have alot less bubbles and mess and onceyou get the hang of it ull never apply anything wet again.

Firstly, Vinyl goes on the OUTSIDE. The adhesive is not UV resistant and the gloss side of the vinyl is. This is one of the biggest mistakes i see EVERYDAY.

Use rapid tac 2, Spray window down and clean it with the solution, then spray the adhesive side AND the window and throw it on, Go from the middle out and repeat until it's bubble free with a squeegee with felt on the end so it doesn't scratch the black.

Then let it sit 10 minutes or so, spray the black vinyl down, apply the orange and your done.

I have never heard of that vinyl your using, I'd suggest using a reputable name such as Avery, 3M or Oracal.

Hey there I guess I dont quite understand where your going with cutting out the compound and trying to line up the letters? I would cut the letters lay them on and lay the black over top of that. Looks much more finished and professional plus take ALOT less time and effort then sitting there trying to line up all the letters. As far as application goes I always suggest a dry app. using the hinge method it takes a little getting used to but youll have alot less bubbles and mess and onceyou get the hang of it ull never apply anything wet again.

You have a point, laying the black over the orange is quicker, but wont look very professional, as when you look at the window you may realise the lump behind the orange and it wouldnt sit flat in and around the lettering wouldnt it? and secondly it may darken the orange up a bit,

Applying dry? A big 2400mm x 600mm black vinyl would take way longer wouldnt it, and you would really get only one chance at it? The hinge method do you mean tape the middle down and do one half at a time?

Firstly, Vinyl goes on the OUTSIDE. The adhesive is not UV resistant and the gloss side of the vinyl is. This is one of the biggest mistakes i see EVERYDAY.

Use rapid tac 2, Spray window down and clean it with the solution, then spray the adhesive side AND the window and throw it on, Go from the middle out and repeat until it's bubble free with a squeegee with felt on the end so it doesn't scratch the black.

Then let it sit 10 minutes or so, spray the black vinyl down, apply the orange and your done.

I have never heard of that vinyl your using, I'd suggest using a reputable name such as Avery, 3M or Oracal.

it should be fine from inside shop, i mean the shop has a massive awning, coverig the whole front with a shade, besides how to alot of shops go around these days with all the vinyl from the inside.?

i would put the vinyl from the outside anyway however some idiots are good at damaging this type of stuff...

The vinyl i am using is M7 Metamark, high performance 7 year calandered, i thought it would be popular on this site too? metamark.co.uk big brand here in australia

Thanks again for the tips aswell mate

tsmart you raise a good point with cutting the letters out which will probably work just fine in this case but when you do a big storefront with alot more letter this can we quite time consuming and yes you may be able to see a little bump over time but its alot less noticable will black (in my opinion) and as far as apply dry thats what I presfer to do with the hinge method (tape the middle, lay a half at a time) Like I said it can take some practice to get the method down really good but once you do (again in my opinion) it makes it much easier. All in all it comes down to personal preference all good points were raised, well done tsmart!

Thanks mate, yeah i see the dry app will give it a pro finnish and quicker job, just seems it would take alot more to position the black into its designated position without messing things up lol ! i will surely give this a go on a smaller section

How would i position the 2400mm x 600mm into place without it stuffing up? Obviuosly leave one side with backing paper on,and the other dont leave on and dummy the backing side paper into position and the rest should line up i assume ?

Correct tsmart go around and tape all your vinyl into place and get it postioned just how you want it. then lay some masking tape vertical in the center of your vinyl on both the top and bottom. Remove the tape from one half, peel the vinyl back and cut the backing. Start from the inside and squeegie from the center out removing all bubbles. Once you lay the first half your vinyl will stay in place so remove the tape from the other side and again work from the center out. Like any other application you will have a small amount of bubble but other time and with heat they will eventually go away on their own. Again though like I said earlier its all personal preference, thats just how I like to do it but I know guys that still stick by the anything over 12x12 rule has to be a wet application.

a good source for this is www.ehow.com in the search line enter installing vinyldecals there will be printed info and videos