Sign in to follow this  
freezermink

belt tightness specifications on mh series cutters?

this afternoon i was noticing a bit of noise when the cutter assembly was moving back and forth along its track; it sounded like things weren't tight.  i inspected and the only thing i could find that seemed loose was the belt itself.  it seems more loose than i would expect a toothed belt to be.  i took the endcap off and noticed a simple tension adjustment screw and proceeded to tighten the belt juuuuust a bit.  i ran some test cuts afterwards and things sound much better, and the cuts seem to be ever so slightly better as well. 

my obvious assessment is that the belt was indeed loose... however i'm wondering how far to take it.  how far should i tighten it before i'm going too far?  is there a standard deflection that i can measure like a toothed timing belt on an engine?  should i not be meddling with things so as to not bust my cutter?  ;)

any input would be great.  i'm all about leaving it how it is, because its been cutting great lately... but i also love tinkering with things like this and getting that extra little bit out of them. 

thanks guys!  ;D

Well I'm all about tinkering myself but find once it's working great, I'm better off tinkering with something else before I end up breaking it! :huh:

Well I'm all about tinkering myself but find once it's working great, I'm better off tinkering with something else before I end up breaking it! :huh:

i hear that.  i think i'll leave it alone now that things sound like they should again.  but man... what if tightening it just a LITTLE more made it waaay better?!  or if i turn that screw just 1/4 turn more maybe it'll turn my vinyl to gold!  i guess we'll never know.

Well I'm all about tinkering myself but find once it's working great, I'm better off tinkering with something else before I end up breaking it! ;)

i hear that.  i think i'll leave it alone now that things sound like they should again.  but man... what if tightening it just a LITTLE more made it waaay better?!  or if i turn that screw just 1/4 turn more maybe it'll turn my vinyl to gold!  i guess we'll never know.

Yeah ok, that 'bout sums up my mentality, cept I'd go ahead and turn the screw, then end up with more lil parts laying all over :huh:

at least you have some control! ;)