Dbannon

Heat transfer vinyl or printed transfers?

I know I'm asking alot of questions here, but I want to be sure before I take the step into apparel world! lol Is it better to print and press, or cut and press? I've been looking at the prices of transfer vinyl and it all seems so expensive. I'd spend a fortune building a stock of material. But if I go with printing everything, it would be easier on the wallet. I'm finding the vinyl ranging from $35 and up. And if my potential customer wants multi-colored, I wouldn't be able to get out of the red.

What is your ratio of printed compared to cut? Should I jump in and do both or start with one and work my way into the other? Thanks

Vinyl is good for one offs or a half dozen as long as you get paid well. When you get up in order size and multi color it is better to use a well established company with extensive experience like http://www.transferfreedom.com/customproducts.html for transfers.

Printed shirts are the way to go for me. I used to do transfers then screened my own but now use Dennis at http://www.wholesaleshirtsandsigns.com/ and profit without the mess.

Cutting vinyl for a heat press is a great option for jersey names and numbers. you think about how many names you can cut out on a yard of material and charge a $5-8 a name your profit margin is well worth it.  Iif a customer is looking for a multi colored job, depending how many colors, vinyl will layer.

Custom transfers are always an option for high numbered color jobs as well. but like any thing your cost does go up with more colors.

Laser and inkjet papers are available for heat transfer as well, but the quality you get with those will never surpass vinyl or custom transfers except with there capabilities to transfer photos.