locknload1

Clean those skipping rollers!

;D I have a quickie for you all, when your rollers seem to skip and effect your cutting on a straight path when doing your larger jobs try putting some alcohol on a microfiber towel and advance the main roller while applying firm pressure with the moistened cloth directly on each rubber roller. This removes the adhesive gunk that accumulates as a result of your day to day cutting and eliminates the issue.

I called in for a solution to the problem and was qoted $25 for each roller assembly then I decided to try cleaning them and saved $75+ s&h!

RG

A word of warning. Not sure of the actual material that the rollers are made of but rubbing alcohol will dry out rubber materials and increase the deterioration rate of them. It's best to get a cleaner designed for rubber rollers, like that designed to clean the capstan rollers of a reel to reel tape machine. Or a general purpose cleaner with no solvents in them like fantastic diluted in 2 parts water to one part cleaner.

Even Denatured alcohol is better than regular Isopropyl alcohol.

Kevin

A word of warning. Not sure of the actual material that the rollers are made of but rubbing alcohol will dry out rubber materials and increase the deterioration rate of them. It's best to get a cleaner designed for rubber rollers, like that designed to clean the capstan rollers of a reel to reel tape machine. Or a general purpose cleaner with no solvents in them like fantastic diluted in 2 parts water to one part cleaner.

Even Denatured alcohol is better than regular Isopropyl alcohol.

Kevin

Sorry, was originally going to suggest Denatured alcohol as an alternative however that has an equal rating of effect on Rubber and Polyurethane as does Vinegar while the substances you suggest causes a build up on the porous composition of the afore mentioned materials which equates to the same slipping/skipping almost immediately after drying, therefore I suggested alcohol as the lesser evil due to ease of obtaining.

Diluting alcohol with H2O to 50% is also an option but if you have to clean them more often than twice a year you're still better off than buying a new set since buying/replacing them one at a time has the same effect on the material tracking as gunk build up due to the individual rate of pressure each roller applies.

I use regular alcohol because my rollers are in theory "past their prime" in the eyes of the manufacturer. I'm also working on finding back up rollers made of silicone material to simply replace the rollers rather than the entire assembly when the inevitable occurs.

I suppose there are "Pros & Cons" to anything if you care to seek them out.