Sign in to follow this  
jfought

business funding sba grants

has anybody ever tried to get any of these? we are thinking about trying to get some but not sure where to start.

all i say is good luck. i checked long time ago. and i was the wrong color and race and sex.

They are more for people that are not from the US wanting to start us a business IE mini marts, or females.

has anybody ever tried to get any of these? we are thinking about trying to get some but not sure where to start.

Yes, I have tried and succeeded( BTW I'm a caucasin male with a family and I was making well above burger joint wages when I was approved. Also my credit score was less than the number of laps in a nascar race  ;D ). I only went for a very small loan of less than $5k. Best option is to get tied in with  a Small Business Development Center. Not sure were your at, but there are SBDC's all over the country. They will be able to help you every step of the way in setting up and starting your own business. And when it's time to apply for financing, they are very good at finding any and all means of aquiring it. I can't speak highly enough about the SBDC's. Another option is search your states website for business links. They are also a great resource for that stuff. I hope this info helps some. Also I'm not shure if they are just a PA thing or not, but we have another one called SCORE (Senior Corp of Reitered Entreprenuars) Bunch of old head business men that volunteer thier time to help people start business' much like the SBDC look it up online see what you find.

You got a grant or a loan?

My dad used to be involved with SCORE.  Do do what they suggested would have cost me easily 3K per month.  When I told them I had no budget for advertising and I needed to be creative, they (my dad) was totally lost.  Most of them come from a big business environment were dropping a few grand a month on advertising is nothing.  They offered to help me get a small business loan.  I went through the motions for a $10K loan and was turned down...with a 720 credit score.  The business was not making a profit yet and I had no other income.  I said...Duh...I need the seed money to invest in the business so it WILL make a profit.

This was back in the late 90's.  Maybe things have changed.

all i say is good luck. i checked long time ago. and i was the wrong color and race and sex.

They are more for people that are not from the US wanting to start us a business IE mini marts, or females.

Those darned females!  heh

I second the "good luck" part.  My advice is make sure your credit is gleaming, get really good at endless paperwork, and start praying. 

I second the "good luck" part.  My advice is make sure your credit is gleaming, get really good at endless paperwork, and start praying. 

luck is what you make it :thumbsup: credit is trashed, paperwork i don't even know how to write, as for praying i love to do it.

My business partner and I got an SBA loan to purchase our building in 1999. Our company was established, showing a marginal profit, and our credit scores were decent. The process was involved, and frustrating at times, but got us what we needed. At that time we also had the option to add remodeling costs and other expenses into the mortgage. Don't be fooled the programs are only for minority owner businesses, you need to be persistent and provide the info they require. Depending on the state, there are a lot of programs available.

luck is what you make it :thumbsup: credit is trashed, paperwork i don't even know how to write, as for praying i love to do it.

I hope you're really, really ... reeeeeeaaallly good at it.