Sign in to follow this  
jeremySI

Autocad

anyone use autocad or any other 3d program? i am looking to get some things machined so i need to create the 3d file. 2d vectors are easy enough but autocad is a whole new learning curve

I use Rhino 3D most of the time.  I only use AutoCAD if a client request it specifically.  Even then sometimes I use Rhino and just export a DWG.  Are you doing the machining?  If not, What file format does the machine shop like?  Depending on which CAM they use, they may have a preference. 

I use CATIA. High end 3D design software that pretty much the standard in aerospace..

downloaded rhino, seems to be easy to use than autocad but damn how the hell do you set dimensions of crap in these programs

Most have a sketcher mode where you dimension then change the values to constrain it to the size you want. At least that is how Solidworks and Catia both work. Have not used Autocad since Version 9 back in the 80's.

Set the grid settings and turn on snap to grid.  That makes drawing to exact dimensions very easy.  If you use the 4 view display, you can jump from view to view while drawing to design in 3D.  If you want to change the size of something you drew, turn on control points and drag the points.  To snap a point or object to the grid, turn on "snap to grid" and select the "near" option.  select the move command and let the cursor snap to the object, then move it so it snaps to the grid.