Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

Papilio Photo Glossy Adhesive Paper: Weird Results With Contour-Cut!

Hi there!

A week or so ago, I wasted a good bit of a pack of Papilio Photo Glossy Adhesive Paper because suddenly, my contour cutting wasn't coming out right with simple oval shapes. The contour would always be about 2-3mm too low, ruining all my decals.

My method is to print on the top of a piece of adhesive paper, which allows me to flip the paper around and try again in the event of a mishap, and allows two passes on one paper sheet. It's a great method, but not with this paper!

After investigating my files and methods, I'm theorizing based on the data that the fault is not my method, alignment or file...it's the paper!!

Here's why I think this is the case:

Taking known-good files I was able to get nice contour cuts on Silver Metallic and Glow-in-the-Dark paper, also from Papilio. Nice stuff, not too thick.

The Papilio Photo Glossy Adhesive Paper is VERY thick. It's almost like a thin Bristol Board, and when you weed it, it's like pulling back thin cardboard with a very thin backing sheet. This is the thickest paper by far I've ever printed/cut.

Using a known-good file, I can print/cut the Papilio Photo Adhesive Paper as I normally would (near the top of the page) and the contour is always messed up, about 2-3mm lower than it should be.

However, if I print in the middle and lower part of the Papilio Photo Glossy Adhesive Paper and cut it, then the contour comes out ok. My theory is that somehow, the thickness of the paper is actually messing up its own cut near the top, but cuts ok near the middle and lower part of the paper. I don't know why this is other than the flexing tension of the paper and the weight of it as it hangs out of the cutter while being cut at the top. Where near the middle, it should cut better with a balanced weight, though I can't explain why it cuts well near the bottom.

I wasted nearly a whole pack last time thinking it was something amiss with my file, when it's this particular paper itself behaving oddly when being contour-cut, and only near the top of the paper with my 'save paper' method.

Anyone else ever have this kind of issue with Papilio Photo Glossy Adhesive Paper?

Thanks. I might take this 'known good file' and try a top print/cut again just to see what happens, but I am sure I'll get the same result I did with the 8 sheets I wasted last week. This repeatable error is what got me to try just filling the mid/lower portion. I cut the mid-lower print and sure enough it looks good, exactly as I theorized...I am just not sure why, exactly.

Any feedback is welcome.