clarkracing

Any advice?

I have a logo for a drummer to put on his bass drum heads. He drew it all up, probably the most meticulous drawer I've ever met! I was planning on scanning it and vectorizing so I could cut it. He shaded the logo so when I try to vectorize it's a pain and doesn't entirely work. I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to deal with a shaded scanned image. I'm still relatively new at this but have vectorized simple b&w images with success. I'm at work right now and don't have access to the scan, but if it will make it easier to see what I'm talking about I will post that when I get home. Thanks!

If it's on a white background, open it in Photoshop and magic wand select in the white area.  This will select everything but the image.  Select "Select Inverse" to swap the selection to the image instead of the white background.  Now select a the color black and paint over the entire selected area.  The image will now be one flat color.  Now you can import it into Corel, illustrator, Flexi...or whatever and trace it.

If you want multiple shades, then you can still that in corel or illustrator by adjusting the number of colors you want to trace.

You'll have to trace that by hand, but it's a simple image.  It's a 10 minute job at most.  I'd hand trace it right in Flexi, but any vector program will do.