Sign in to follow this  
hawkeyeent

Help screen printing from home

Hey all, I need some shirts made with my logo on them... however, I do not want to pay a few hundred dollars for a decent amount of shirts, so I feel like the money would be better spent buying supplies to do my own screen printing from home. I feel like the initial investment would give me the shirts I need plus give me another source of income down the road.

That being said, I'd like to go this weekend and pick up some supplies to start at home. I would like to use vinyl to create the images to print with (see Screen Printing with Vinyl- video) so that should eliminate the need for a light box. However, what mesh would work best for fine detail? What should I use to set the ink (heat source... maybe wax paper and an iron after it dries?) And any other advice is appreciated! I'd like to keep the budget within $200-300. Watcha think?

First you have to quantify some shirts..... Then you need to look at the detail of the design and your capability of corectly curing the ink before you consider the screen printing with vinyl approach .....  at that point I then I would consider looking into a heat press and transfers before trying the above mentioned screen printing method .

Ganging prints together on transfers can not only be econimical but also look way more profesional and be more durable than results obtained by "Quick Easy Screen Printing"

Don't get me wrong screen printing with vinyl is a cool way to start... I did... but a heat press and the option of doing heat press vinyl  (for easy designs) and heat transfers (for more intricate designs) would give you way more flexability

You will not be able to get fine detailed design screenprinting with vinyl. The vinyl has to stick to the screen really well. With detailed graphics, which means you're getting into a higher mesh count screen (200 and higher), and those require a lot of force to pull the ink through. I haven't tried it personally with the high mesh count screen, but I don't think the vinyl will stay intact throughout the process.

To be honest, I can get much crisper lines for the very detailed design with heat press vinyl than screenprinting using emulsion.

But if you are to go that route, I wouldn't recommend a high mesh count, stay below 100, though you won't be able to get fine details. As for setting the ink, if you're using waterbased, you should be able to set it using a regular home iron with a pillow case covering the design. If you're using plastisol ink, you'll need minimum a heat gun to set the ink.

I hear ya and thanks for the advice! I need about 75 shirts total and they don't need to be terribly detailed (I was worried about detail for down the road.) I've used heat press vinyl and don't really like the feeling of it, that's why I asked about screen printing. So, maybe I can find a start up kit.... any suggestions? I saw the yudu and can't tell if its something I can rely on long term.

I have a Yudu and have printed at least 200 shirts on it.  It has it's faults but if your just making your own shirts it is a good start up.  I am currently looking to buy something bigger but haven't found it for the price I am willing to pay.  There are some other hobby kits for a couple hundred dollars but then you have to worry about light box to make your screens and drying the shirts on the other hand you can buy a used or new Yudu on ebay and have at least the light box included in the price.  I had a heat press for pressing my airbrushing so i just kept it when I sold all of that stuff.  As far as drying an iron or heat gun may be the cheapest way right now until you can get a heat press.  I use waterbased paints at the time but when (or if) I ever get my other machine I will be changing to plasitsol inks. 

Hope this helps make your decision.

I think Yudu uses their own emulsion sheets, not sure if it can use anything else. Those can get very expensive at over $10 per sheet! And to fit their machine, you have to buy their screens too... if you're doing a few shirts as a hobby, it's not a bad idea, but if you're looking to run a business out of it, you're better off planning for a real screenprinter.

Sounds like a plan. I'm thinking about getting a single arm/color screen printer and switch out screens when I need a new color. Probably collect the materials over time like I did with my cutter and supplies. Any suggestions for equipment and inks? And I think I'll need a light box, suggestions there?

To start, and if you're still interested in giving the vinyl screen printing a go, I'd recommend getting screens to start, and get some that you would still be able to use later on.

ScreenPrintingSupplies.com has a pack of 4 110mesh screen&frame for $69.

http://www.screenprintingsupplies.com/item.asp?item=SPD110&uid=3I8EK2SKYU24Y11Q40313.7193518519

As far as ink, prob easiest to start with waterbased ink. But be careful, they dry quickly so make sure you wash your screen right away after printing, otherwise, you'll have ghost images on your screen where the meshes were clogged. In that case you can clean them with a pressure washer or you can get chemicals to open the meshes too. Oh, and don't buy ink in bulk unless you have a lot of shirts to print... you'll end up wasting your money if the ink dries up.

Squeegee to pull the ink, screen tape...

Pellon test squares are also helpful, esp if you're just starting out, don't want to be wasting your shirts. Spray adhesive is also nice to have, but not necessary.

I think that should cover enough for you to get started...

Good Luck

Thanks a lot hockeygirl for all your help. I think I will look into it a bit more and start collecting supplies when I can. I'll put up pics when I get some shirts done for critiquing! When I get some done I'll also post a review and walk through for anyone else interested.

BTW, hope your team is in the playoffs!

If you have tried heat press vinyl, I would assume you have or have access to a heat press. If that is the case I would still persue heat transfers

~~But If~~

You still want to screen print, check out used equipment .... there is a real lot of stuff out there that can take you further/faster than trying to buy starter stuff !

I suggest STAY AWAY from ANY one color / one station printer even as a beginner, Its like buying a vinyl cutter without a stand ( you'll regret it later )

Water based is easier to clean up after however plastisol is much easier to control as a noob

Either wat I wish you luck  :rolleyes:

I worked at a sign shop with a heat press but not anymore so I don't have access to it. I'm thinking screen print for sure now, and maybe a 2-4 color station w/water based inks (unless I can find a decent priced plastisol ink)

I started with waterbased inks last year and am still using water based. It takes a little to get use to so they don't dry on the screen but not difficult at all. I use permaset ink. I also like the matsui. You just need to backflood and cover your design after you print. I've had no issues. I'm no speed demon lol did a 42 t-shirt/sweatshirt order last week, front and back and didn't have any drying issues with the waterbased. I use my heat press to cure. After set I've even tried the extreme of bleaching a shirt, using excessive stain remover spray etc to test the ink set (as we know customers do these kinds of things) and it just fades the ink ever so slightly. I built a screenprinter from my How to print tshirts for fun and profit book. Will of course buy a nice one someday that has auto registration but for beginning this works great!

I would say sub out your first batch of shirts.  I know that i have a single color press and love it because it doesnt take up much room in the shop and most my customers want  white ink on black shirts anyhow. Then once you sub it out start saving and pick up items  as you can.  I know check craigslist,  there was a screenprint company  going out of business on mine and i picked up a lot of inks and squeeges, screentape,  3 screens and  some ink for like 60 bucks.