Sign in to follow this  
nofear4eliefee

Starting Home Based Business

I've worked in a sign shop for a year or so and have always had a passion for it. I now have a full time job else where but have been doing small run vinyl graphics for some race teams in the area. I dont have the money to expand to laminate and print but I know being able to can really help me gain more clients.

After checking these boards, it looks like I could use a wide format printer (such as an Epson Workforce 1100 - $200), printable vinyl, and hand lamination with a big squegee. Granted, I will need to invest in another plotter more than likely (I have a USCutter MH 751). Do many people print this way from home, or does this idea fall a little short? Thank you for any advice you have available!

Guest manwayvan

I have also wondered how many actually do print this way

Guest sciondrgn

I have my graphtec cutter, 2 Epson 1100's. I do t-shirts and small run printed decals with no problems out of a very small bedroom in my home. If I get where I need a larger order I will sub it out to one of the folks here on the forum but for short runs it works fine for me!  :huh:

Using an inkjet and laminating is ok for small runs, but your margin will be lower due to the higher cost of the vinyl.  You can decrease your ink costs by using a continuous ink system or refillable cart system.

Personally, I do cut vinyl myself and sub out digital printing, either online or to a local guy I have an agreement with.