Sign in to follow this  
tinaski

LINUX BOARD

hey BannerJohn whats the chance of getting a Linux board - mac has one - i know its not going to be too popular but i will do everything i can to help out in that section - it would be great for the few of us that want Linux - and it would would really help us out a one stop shop for Linux since allot of the off brand software is used in Linux and windows it makes it hard to determine if inkscape is windows ver or linux ver

just a thought thanks

I'm interested as well - i've tried to use ArchLinux briefly for cutting, and got a few test cuts out of my MH-721 before I lost interest due to lack of online support.

***SARCASM*** Hmmm......figured the dude with the penguin was behind this one***

LOL...that said, I would be interested.....I have Dual Boot on this machine and can go into Ubuntu whenever I want....hardly ever do though Windows is rock solid for me, plus I don't think flexi runs on linux, but if there was good enough options I would be interested in playing if nothing else.  TuxCut looks kinda cool.

I'm interested as well - i've tried to use ArchLinux briefly for cutting, and got a few test cuts out of my MH-721 before I lost interest due to lack of online support.

thats cool you got that far with it - how did you set up the cutter i had an MH i couldn't get it set up - we now have a grahtec and that was a very easy set up. its set up as a raw printer

Guest YHC

What are the advantages to running a Linux PC for cutting and designing? I know its good for running a web server but, it seems to be a pain for finding hardware, software, and drivers compared to WIN or MAC.

Just wondering as I never really looked into the benefits.

Biggest one is price...linux is free and so are all the programs.

Most people who run and use linux say it is more stable, and more secure than windows.  There is some merit to that IMO...but a properly kept and updated windows machine is also very stable in my opinion.

To me its not worth the aggravation of having to "make things work" in linux when there are turn key solutions in windows already for a production environment sign shop, but like I said it would be something fun to play with.  Linux can be frustrating at times, but it is making strides in becoming more user friendly lowly but surely (other people have differeing opinions, I am windows man who dabbles in linux....someone who is a linux man who dabbles in windows would probably call linux intuitive and windows frustrating).  Now if we could get some turn key solutions to install on something like ubuntu that came with say inkscape and the ability to cut straight from it and control weeding lines, and offsets, colors, maybe even rip, print, and contour cut, oooh and make sure it works for all cutters on both 32 and 64 bit versions of linux with a drop down list of preinstalled working drivers.....now we are talking!  Sign me up!

WOW allot to add to all this

why - because being sable and viruses don't exist i dont know anyone including myself that runs a virus scan. well they do a few but never heard of anyone getting one

when we installed windows - had to find drivers - trouble to get everything working mainly the video

when we installed ubuntu - if found everything on its own - i know people that it wasnt that easy but for us is was so easy 20 mins we were installed and running

secure - yes they way the OS allows programs to run is different than in windows - some find it a pain to always enter a password to make any changes thats why a virus can run linux doesnt let a program to have admin rites windows will allow that

design software - yeas we all use inkscape

to cut - yes it doesn't care what cutter you use it treats it as if its a printer - it will send raw HPGL code to the port that the cutter is connected too what ever you design it cuts we havent had to mess with cut lines it just works if you can add the cutter as a raw printer it will work

drivers dont need them unless you use an MH or another that uses FTI serial to usb converter

web server YES very powerful desktop very good my opinion - LOL no blue screen

i am not trying to convert anyone and not looking for an OS war - just want a place for everyone using linux to go

thanks for everything  

why - because being sable and viruses don't exist i dont know anyone including myself that runs a virus scan. well they do a few but never heard of anyone getting one

when we installed windows - had to find drivers - trouble to get everything working mainly the video

when we installed ubuntu - if found everything on its own - i know people that it wasnt that easy but for us is was so easy 20 mins we were installed and running

secure - yes they way the OS allows programs to run is different than in windows - some find it a pain to always enter a password to make any changes thats why a virus can run linux doesnt let a program to have admin rites windows will allow that

to cut - yes it doesn't care what cutter you use it treats it as if its a printer - it will send raw HPGL code to the port that the cutter is connected too what ever you design it cuts we havent had to mess with cut lines it just works if you can add the cutter as a raw printer it will work

drivers dont need them unless you use an MH or another that uses FTI serial to usb converter

i am not trying to convert anyone and not looking for an OS war - just want a place for everyone using linux to go

thanks for everything  

I too am not looking for an OS war, linux has its benefits, as does windows, and there is room in the world for people to use both whichever they feel is best.

You are sending raw code to the "printer"....so do you have a way to adjust the offset  or anything of that nature from using that code? How do you cut multiple colors with registration marks for layering?

Just curious.  

Also with any newer version of windows, and even xp to some extent,  there chance of your computer having the correct drivers for everything it needs, or being able to download them automatically is pretty high.

Also anything vista or above has password protection for any elevated administrative action.....in fact  when they put that feature in windows vista...they got so many complaints they incorporated the ability to adjust all those popups in windows 7.  

I use Linux mainly because it is the optimal environment for one of my other hobbies, web development.  It *is* a pain for some things, but like everything else in life, it gets easier with experience.

As for using my MH, it has been quite some time, but I believe I just used a canned (but unfinished) format converter to go from .eps to HPGL(sp?), and "cat"ed it out to the proper port.  Don't quote me on that though, I've only a vague recollection of it, and I just mainly remember being excited when the cutter moved the first time :thumbsup:

These days, I'm more focused on vinyl, and I've been using Windows 7 exclusively.  In fact, my Release Candidate of Win7 expired, and I installed over the top of it and my Linux install - right now, I'm running a plain vanilla Arch install inside VirtualBox for what limited coding I have time for.

I'd participate in a Linux forum here, and I would be quite interested in a project to get USCutter products working easily in Linux - but I cannot promise any amount of time to devote to it.  Still, it's a good idea, and certainly a market that isn't being met.  With a certain level of polish on the final product, it is conceivable that USC could sell package deals, with a PC, cutter, and all software necessary to cut, for much less than the competition.

thanks for everything  

I too am not looking for an OS war, linux has its benefits, as does windows, and there is room in the world for people to use both whichever they feel is best.

You are sending raw code to the "printer"....so do you have a way to adjust the offset  or anything of that nature from using that code?  How do you cut multiple colors with registration marks for layering?

Just curious.  

Also with any newer version of windows, and even xp to some extent,  there chance of your computer having the correct drivers for everything it needs, or being able to download them automatically is pretty high.

Also anything vista or above has password protection for any elevated administrative action.....in fact  when they put that feature in windows vista...they got so many complaints they incorporated the ability to adjust all those popups in windows 7.  

yes they both have good sides and bad sides as far as vista haveing too many complaints about admin action your correct so the back it down for windows 7 very true -- but my opinion is its made for the grandmas that want to push a button it turns on and dont have to worry about passwords "why do i have to retype my password" " this is stupid" lol i got one of them

but for the people that knows how dangers virus can be and how powerful some are don't mind having to type passwords and i have had some that i couldn't get rid of. i tried all the free virus protections and still was there.

i also feel that Sir Gates is a multi billionaire  and if he is making that much he can make products that work and safe and secure.

i hate "windows experienced problems please send the error to Microsoft" or something like that -- if i have to pay that much for a OS then i shouldn't have to do there testing --

auto makers get recalls if there is major problems but Sir Gates doesn't get held accountable - who has ever sued a software manufacture because it wasn't secure enough.

ya hear about it all the time hackers breaking into a bank, store, what ever. im not stupid i know im not a target what would they get from me? many eps files thats about it.about 6 months ago i got permission to hack a network i just wanted to see how easy it is to do it (i was using linux) WOW 20 mins i was in there whole system - i changed my mac address in my computer to a series of numbers and then i went in and with a little knowledge of script i was in found there wep key and then i was able to back out and get in anytime i wanted . i was able to rout around there system and even get to folders that weren't shared

but this isnt trying to convert anyone - its just preference - do people get questioned why would you use MAC and now windows?

i have never had a mac but i dont think so

sometimes i feel like a ConeHead walking down the street and being different everyone stops and stairs. public is afraid of change

this is just my preference of having an open system - if you want to change something in the OS change it - that is encouraged tweek it they way that best suits you 

You are sending raw code to the "printer"....so do you have a way to adjust the offset  or anything of that nature from using that code?     How do you cut multiple colors with registration marks for layering?

yes sending raw code to the cutter

adj the offset - oddly enough we dont have to it cuts a complete cut every time that was never an issue

reg marks for layering - we never have done that layering was always done with out reg makers even when we were using windows

but we would just design with the marks that wouldn't be hard at all

here is the GUI of the program pic

http://www.securetech-ns.ca/camm-linux.html

wow another huge improvement in linux -- there is an add on to inkscape that is a direct cut

i will post more when i find out more - i just got it so i havent tested it yet it looks like it will work with any cutter

no drivers needed

thanks for everything  

You are sending raw code to the "printer"....so do you have a way to adjust the offset  or anything of that nature from using that code?  How do you cut multiple colors with registration marks for layering?

Just curious.  

yes they both have good sides and bad sides as far as vista haveing too many complaints about admin action your correct so the back it down for windows 7 very true -- but my opinion is its made for the grandmas that want to push a button it turns on and dont have to worry about passwords "why do i have to retype my password" " this is stupid" lol i got one of them

but for the people that knows how dangers virus can be and how powerful some are don't mind having to type passwords and i have had some that i couldn't get rid of. i tried all the free virus protections and still was there.

i also feel that Sir Gates is a multi billionaire  and if he is making that much he can make products that work and safe and secure.

i hate "windows experienced problems please send the error to Microsoft" or something like that -- if i have to pay that much for a OS then i shouldn't have to do there testing --

auto makers get recalls if there is major problems but Sir Gates doesn't get held accountable - who has ever sued a software manufacture because it wasn't secure enough.

ya hear about it all the time hackers breaking into a bank, store, what ever. im not stupid i know im not a target what would they get from me? many eps files thats about it.about 6 months ago i got permission to hack a network i just wanted to see how easy it is to do it (i was using linux) WOW 20 mins i was in there whole system - i changed my mac address in my computer to a series of numbers and then i went in and with a little knowledge of script i was in found there wep key and then i was able to back out and get in anytime i wanted . i was able to rout around there system and even get to folders that weren't shared

but this isnt trying to convert anyone - its just preference - do people get questioned why would you use MAC and now windows?

i have never had a mac but i dont think so

sometimes i feel like a ConeHead walking down the street and being different everyone stops and stairs. public is afraid of change

this is just my preference of having an open system - if you want to change something in the OS change it - that is encouraged tweek it they way that best suits you 

Just an FYI that wep security that you so easily hacked has nothing to do with windows or linux...thats a wireless security standard from a whole nother portion of the industry....and its antiquated and outdated.

And you were most likely on a network with nothing locked down at all.....

Just sayin.....you can lead a horse to water when it comes to people securing their networks, no matter what OS they are using, but if they don't put the time and effort into it...nothing is secure.

That said..linux does suffer from fewer viruses....but I still say if you are smart and use a couple simple free tools, they are a non issue for the most part.

Porblem is.....most of the population is NOT computer smart.

wow another huge improvement in linux -- there is an add on to inkscape that is a direct cut

i will post more when i find out more - i just got it so i havent tested it yet it looks like it will work with any cutter

no drivers needed

Would love to hear about it when you ge the time...thanks.

o you got me -- yes your correct wep doesn't have anything to do with the OS

i guess what i meant to say is by default windows doesn't password protect the system - i could be wrong its been a while

in Linux if i access any PC on the network i have to put in a user and password that is on that pc if not you have no access to it

but this isnt want i wanted to say whats better and why all im trying to get is a place for all linux users to go to

http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4987&p=0&e=0&sid=79599dc7b7e98cf5489f7a2c4b12b2ea

here is the link for the add on for inkscape - its a direct cut from inkscape it doesnt work with graphtec right now but it does work with an MH series its becouse the hpgl coding is little diffrent between the two

please try it out and let us know

i dont have an mh to try it with

or email me and i can send it to you

i added a few of videos on youtube

1 how to set up a cutter in linux

2 how to install the TUX PLOT

3 how to cut

there very quick videos only 2-3 min each but its straight forward and to the point

please be kind it was my first time doing a video