Sign in to follow this  
uscutterboy

Vinyl not sticking to painted sign board ?

Hello friends ! I have painted a sign board with exterior flat white  acrylic/latex paint and am putting the vinyl on  ( new oracle 651 ) using the wet method. I can not get the vinyl to stick ? It is drving me crazy ? Is there any one out there that can help ?  ;)  thanks

Guest YHC

How long are you waiting before you try and peel the tape off? You should give it some time to dry before pulling up the backing. Also how fresh is the paint? If you painted the same day you are applying I would at least give it 24hrs for the paint to dry and set. Then clean the surface good.

Thank you Rick.

I did not clean the surface after painting.

I did allow the paint 24 hours to dry though.

I read some where that the paint must be glossy and have no acrylic ? Is this true ?

Even after several days of letting the vinyl dry, it would still fall off ?

Guest YHC

Thank you Rick.

I did not clean the surface after painting.

I did allow the paint 24 hours to dry though.

I read some where that the paint must be glossy and have no acrylic ? Is this true ?

Even after several days of letting the vinyl dry, it would still fall off ?

I would definitely clean the surface well after painting. What happens allot of times is the overspray will settle on the surface as well as dust and that will leave a lose surface on top. Which will make the glue on vinyl not bond and stick well.

I haven't heard anyone recommend latex under sign vinyl... Oil base enamel is what I have heard if anyone actually recommends a paint type. ......major cleanup issues of course but I suppose you could just toss the rollers.

It should stick fine to your painted surface.  I'd recommend cleaning it and doing it dry.  It's going to be difficult to squeegee all of the liquid from under the vinyl on an uneven painted wooden surface.

You were all right !  I cleaned the dried painted surface with rubbing alcohol and it made all of the differnece.    Next time I will use exterior oil though.            Thanks    ;) ;) :)

Turned my frown upside down

Guest YHC

Good, Glad it worked out ;)

You always want to make sure your surface is wiped clean before applying vinyl. :)

You were all right !   I cleaned the dried painted surface with rubbing alcohol and it made all of the differnece.    Next time I will use exterior oil though.            Thanks    ;):) :)

Turned my frown upside down