Cartierusm

CMYK Spot Colors Help

I'm just gettting into screen printing and have bought about 7 colors so far of Plastisol Union Inks. Then I remembered my days running print shops and wondered if it's you can do the same mixing of cutom colors with CMYK? If so, which I'm sure you can, can anyone tell me if there are any programs that can give me the weights for the ink to mix my own spot colors? Thanks.

You are probably going to get better colors using premade spot colors than trying to mix CMYK.  Most of the commercial color matching systems use 6 or more inks.  Most of the big companies offer such a system.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not trying to color match. Right now I need to print pink, any pink, so I'd rather mix up a little instead of buying a whole quart of pink I'll never use. I did find a free program on Union Ink's site that tells you how much to mix of their CMYK colors to get Pantone colors.

Fill a small container with white.  Add a dab of red.  Stir.  Keep adding to get the desired color of pink...It ain't rocket science....

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not trying to color match. Right now I need to print pink, any pink, so I'd rather mix up a little instead of buying a whole quart of pink I'll never use. I did find a free program on Union Ink's site that tells you how much to mix of their CMYK colors to get Pantone colors.

Mind sharing that link to Unions color match?  Does it rely on CMYK + White or their spot colors?

I was a little unclear when I mentioned the spot colors, understanding you aren't looking for a precise color match, I meant that you will probably get better results mixing basic spot colors (such as red and white, as mentioned), than trying to create simple colors with CMYK.  Creating even basic colors would be a PITA using only CMYK inks, as they aren't intended to work that way.

I hope that was said in a light hearted manner, because DUHH. Obviously Pink is not the only color I want to make.

Yeah, I was just kidding around...Call the ink manufacturer you use and they should be able to supply you with a mixxing guide.