Sign in to follow this  
lwsimon

Thinking about setting up a roadside stand for political decals...

As most of you know, I run Stuck on Politics.  As usual, please limit discussion on this board to the business, not the politics ;D  If you want to talk politics, find me on Facebook, I'm more than happy to oblige.

Anyhow, I sell rightwing political decals, and live a fairly uniformly rightwing area.  I've got a light pickup that I drive every day with my ad on it, a power inverter, and I'm off work all this week.  I'm thinking about making a quick sandwich board sign, setting up somewhere in a parking lot, and selling my decals.  I can handle the permitting and regulatory stuff, I'm just wondering if any of you have done something similar, and if so, how did it go?  Any tips?  I can take credit card payments on the spot, and I of course collect sales tax as appropriate.

As you said, get any Permits the town you setup in Requires.

You will need to setup a Deal with the Property Owner and they will want a Fee or a % cut in sales from what I have heard.

I would have More than just Political stuff on hand, would people in your area flock to buy political stuff?

Around here I could see a few sales when it's during the Presidential Election, but once thats done the fever for anything Political dies out until the next election. Small town elections I don't see generating enough sales on a stop and drop anchor cut on the spot in a random parking lot to make it worth while.

I don't see a walmart or any franchise wanting any political controversy to start up in their parking lot, maybe a busy gas station and the owner has the same views as whatever your selling. (I haven't looked at your site)

Good you can take credit cards on the spot, that helps generate impulse buys.

Maybe target the younger adult drivers for window decals and pickup truck owners or advertise truck lettering on the spot as well as the political stuff, to add to your potential sales?

Check your local flea markets for the vinyl cutters working there and see whats selling and whats not maybe.

Good luck.

Oh a EZ-UP pop up tent with some Banners made might draw you some Attention and keep you and your cutter out of any bad weather.

Some even come with walls that will help block the wind.

Well, there are a couple of big things going on right now --- one is that I live in a "dry county" so there are no liquor sales as of now.  There is a big push to get it on the ballot, and that is generating *lots* of interest. 

The second is the whole tea party movement.  The county seat here has a population of just over 13,000 - we had 4,000 people show up at the last meeting that was held.

I'm not concerned about there being no interest ;D

Also, I do intend to do random truck lettering and such, and advertise it as a side thing.  Politics are my passion though, so that's what I'm advertising mostly.

It sounds like you have all the right plans in mind. The hard part will be securing the location to do it.

If you can make up some coro-plast signs and spread them around for a few blocks all around the area you will be in advertising the deals once you know where you will be setting up.

Good luck and take some photo's and let us know how it goes for you!!

Great idea with the signs -- I don't have any in stock, but I've got a good friend down the street that carries Gatorboard that he prints onto.  They're a bit more expensive, but I can have them tomorrow.

Yea stick you some vinyl on them and if you use a different location later just pull off the vinyl for the location you were at last time and apply the new vinyl.

I have re-used a coro-plast sign 5 times so far for my friend who owns a restaurant. He changes his weekly special that he puts out by the road every week and I just cut the new special and he peels off the old and applies the new special while the rest of the sign stays on there.