Sign in to follow this  
zx360

Magnetic Numbers

Have a client that wants some magnetic numbers for his auto-cross car... he had issues with the last ones not sticking at speed. I assured him he wouldnt have the same problem with me. Now my question is what is the best magnetic sheeting for a car that will be reaching highway speeds or over?

i found these 2 but not sure the difference.

http://www.beacongraphics.com/supplies/powermag.html

http://www.beacongraphics.com/supplies/promag.html

Help suggestions and advice are appreciated...

Also hope this is a good spot for this post, couldnt think of anywhere else ;D

Thanks

Josh H

The higher the pull weight the better it will stick. only thing is the higher the pull weight can cause paint damage some times.

Most of what I've used is 85lb and holds well at 100mph. I had a customer test it! lol

Rounded corners also help keep it from pulling up at high speeds

I'll be really interested if anyone else has good input on this...I wasn't happy with the roll of MSI magnetic I finally used the last of....smaller signs were not sticking on the vehicles....There seems to be a shelf life to this stuff and they don't like not being on metal.....Mine came from Beacon as well, I do not remember which type it was, but it was plenty spendy.

I bought signs from a truckstop shop last summer.. the magnetic is no longer enough to hold them, gotta tape them to th truck now.  They started to wrinkle after 4 months. Nothin  quite so ugly as magnetics taped on a truck.

What I would suggest is make sure you do the numbers on a square of magnetic, don't try to give them individual numbers as there are so many places for the wind to catch on individual numbers he will be picking them up ever time he uses them. And definitely round the corners.. Also take a look at tehcar he is applying them to and make sure it is a suitable surface for mag signs, no filler or excessive paint, and flat and smooth area...Hopefully he isn't applying over body lines either..

BTW how fast does he usually autocross?  

currently I get my magnetic blanks from signwarehouse.com they are 12x24 with rounded corners. 2 for like $7 I think. So far they have held up for 6 months during the summer season at high speeds. We are now in the winter testing phase.

Thanks guys, im going to keep them on 1 sheet, he wants 15x10 so that works for me. I will round the corners to help keep from pulling and i think im going to use the 85lb to hold well but not damage anything. Thank you all for the advice.

i will, worse case scenario it is a friend of mine the first order is going to who will test the hell out of it before i sell to people, so if it doesnt work ill get the 100lb stuff... i hope it gets here tomorrow and ill test it out on my car also.

19363_253740553832_183874263832_4211859_4861710_n.jpg

i like how they turned out, the magnet is a bit lumpy, i re-did one because i thought it was full of air bubbles but it was just lumps on the sheet  :- but i cleaned them off and cut a new one and the 2 i sent the guy looked a ton better.

I tested the vinyl up to 85 mph, which is what the guy told me was his max speed on most of his auto cross courses...

im hoping he recieves these tomorrow because he has a race friday and will test the crap out of them!

I use and have for years..Magum Mag 30 mil (Fellers) and It has never

been a problem.......but do round the cornors, and strong mag numbers only hurt if you

leave on all the time and don't clean and wax under them now & then.....

and if you want permament then just apply vinyl to surface.......why use mags?

Hey ZX just remember "RUBBING IS RACING" :thumbsup:

haha not in this racing... auto-cross you are the only one on the course and the point is to avoid hitting cones.

I use and have for years..Magum Mag 30 mil (Fellers) and It has never

been a problem.......but do round the cornors, and strong mag numbers only hurt if you

leave on all the time and don't clean and wax under them now & then.....

and if you want permament then just apply vinyl to surface.......why use mags?

these will only be on usually 1 or 2 days a month... they dont want to be permanently applied because these are daily driven cars that go and race on the weekends, not track only vehicles

customer is ecstatic and i should be getting quite a few orders because of him... i cut him a decent deal to test them out for me and he e-mailed me today saying he reached triple digit speeds today on a road course and they never budged... needless to say he is happy

he sent me this:

19763_273810893832_183874263832_4338690_2574597_n.jpg

Awsome job, that looks even better on the car.  Thanks for keeping us updated on this, it helps to know what works.