JV

USB to com port DB9 adapter cable for laserpoint and other import cutters

Hello all.

This is a review for a new USB to DB9 adapter cable available from Cablemax.

I have been looking for a solution to USB communication errors with the supplied USB cable using the supplied FTDI drivers for my Laserpoint 24 plotter. The Cablemax cable is a 6' adapter for USB to DB9, with a Prolific chip set and includes drivers for Windows XP, Vista and Mac. I found it at CompUSB.com. Selling price at time of post is $19.98 plus shipping. First thing I noticed was the nice DB9 male connector with thumb screws (no more loose connections at plotter!) Then I noticed the prolific chip set is visible inside the connector, cool. Also found the included drivers on one of those mini discs, which is ok with Windows, but I don't know how I would be able to load it in my Macbook. Since my plotter is dedicated to a PC laptop I guess it doesn't matter.

I then was so excited to install the new setup, I didn't bother to look at the install instructions, even though the CD had "read install directions first" written all over it. I installed the disc in the drive then hooked up the USB cable and followed the "hardware found" prompts. Big mistake. After restarting the computer and trying to operate the plotter I was quickly redirected to the dreaded Blue Screen O'Death.

OK calm down and get the computer going again so I can read the install directions.

First I decided to remove the FTDI drivers for the LP24 USB connection, in case it was causing a conflict with the prolific drivers. Then I installed the Prolific drivers as per the instructions. "Don't hook up USB cable", then "open files" on driver CD, and "install drivers" (Vista for me) then "connect Cablemax cable". Now all is going as planned with new hardware found prompt coming up.

Then opened properties for the Prolific adapter to set up the com port configuration. To my amazement there is a transmit buffer and receive buffer speed adjustment. Great. I set it up for slow transmit and slow receive options to emulate a real com port. I then opened Signcut Pro and found the driver was visible and set up com port settings (I used comm port 5) I don't use Signblazer, but it should be a similar set up routine.

Now for the moment of truth! I opened up SC and sent a cut routine of the Signcut logo to the plotter. Wow! First thing I noticed is the data transfer progress screen is staying on much longer than usual. When I sent cut data with the old USB set up, the data dumped so fast, you could hardly see the data transfer speed window. Now the plotter is almost done with the cut routine before the data transfer is completed!     Success!

I suspect most probems I was having with the supplied USB cable were due to buffer over runs. Now with a data speed control built into the driver, my LP24 is a pleasure to use.

If interested here is the link to the cable  http://www.compusb.com/index.php/cablemax-ca23218a.html

post-6149-1298654766487_thumb.jpg

post-6149-12986547665363_thumb.jpg

post-6149-12986547665641_thumb.jpg

post-6149-12986547665879_thumb.jpg

post-6149-12986547674055_thumb.jpg

post-6149-12986547674441_thumb.jpg

post-6149-12986547674644_thumb.jpg

post-6149-12986547674813_thumb.jpg

Hi and thanks for the detailed report.

Rember this only works for machines that have a dedicated DB9 SERIAL port at the plotter side.

Machines only having USB at the plotter side are unlucky. :-(

Paco

Update.......

Just upgraded to Windows 7. The cable adapter and SC Pro are still working great. Have not tried Signblazer, Epson 1400 is fine, but my wireless HP Deskjet 6840 printer is no longer supported  :huh: