Sign in to follow this  
Beth

anyone ever "cut live" at a festival?

The local high school is having a band festival and has asked if I want to set up and tent and sell decals....I thought I'd come up with about 6 or 7 music designs that can be personalized with high school name or students name and then do some car monograms....has anyone done this?  I thought I'd take one person to help weed and if it gets too far ahead of me I will mail decals ....any suggestions or ideas?  Sorry for all the questions, and I really appreciate the help you have all given me....

Your mention of car monograms caught my eye. How much do you charge for them and what size are they? Hmmmm....sounds like something I'd like to try. Where on the car do they put the decal?Sandy

Beth I don't see why it wouldn't work, although I myself have never done it. I might be wrong but I think it was Spyder from IN that sells like this at a flea market and does quite well. Good luck

Sandi around my area they sell for $5-7 ea and are applied on the lower back window.

I plan to charge $8 for the 6x6 decal and $10 for and 8x8...check out this site http://www.girlytwirly.com/carmobust.html

they get $18 for a 5x6 and that is the price most of the "personalization" sites are charging. 

My daughter's put theirs on the lower left of the back windshield, but I've also seen the 8x8 in the middle top of the back windshield.

I'm hoping that with a "captive" crowd and a few band designs I can make some money...

Beth I don't see why it wouldn't work, although I myself have never done it. I might be wrong but I think it was Spyder from IN that sells like this at a flea market and does quite well. Good luck

Sandi around my area they sell for $5-7 ea and are applied on the lower back window.

Yes we sell this way every weekend at a flea market and do well. We also so it this way and school foorball and soccer games. We do great at those. We did a soccer game about 2 weeks ago and in 2 1/2hrs we did $700 in sales. We are doing their next home game on the 23rd of this month also. Geeting in with the booster clubs is one of the best things we have done.

Yes we sell this way every weekend at a flea market and do well. We also so it this way and school football and soccer games. We do great at those. We did a soccer game about 2 weeks ago and in 2 1/2hrs we did $700 in sales. We are doing their next home game on the 23rd of this month also. Geeting in with the booster clubs is one of the best things we have done.

Can you tell us a lil more? What type % do you work out with them? Are your figures in line with what Beth suggests? The boosters are already set up to sell garments at our games but maybe I could do the decals. Are you able to get them all cut right at the games? Does it usually translate into future sales too? Details we want details  ;D

I dont do flee markets/swap meets but I do larger craft shows within the genral area.  There seems to be one every other month at least  I have found a lot of people enjoy seeing the cutter do its things.  Than their amazed at the weeding part.  I do very well at these shows.  Took a while to find which shows where for me (as in make good money) and some that just sucked.

I always take some one with me as it can get hectic.  Make sure to take order sheets as if your lucky, your order will pile up on you and you will have to make sure you make good notes on what your customer wanted.

Guest manwayvan

I got into this business to be able to do just this type of work but have found myself struggling on the simplest things which put my turn over time wayyy behind..License Plates are a huge thing around here and I have a generic template but it doesnt line up exactly right..Does anyone have any templates they would share to help out a learning newbie..I have a great market to be able to offer to but my design layout is no where near where I need to be to do custom stuff and my turn over is slow so I doubt I will be doing fairs,flea markets, or events anytime soon

heck yeah!, we take our cutter and vinyl out every weekend to the flea market and custom cut everything. I have one "live " show that i make 400.00 on a saturday and thats the best ive done.

You just need two people that know what thier doing and you will be fine, i run the cutting and the wife does the weeding, just take the orders and say it will be 20 to 30 minutes, get the money first, and come back to get your decal, there have been days where i havent even looked up for 4 hours!. we are trying to get the whole school district now for the fall and its looking good, i donated or sponsored the band truck, i will post picks after wednesday when its done,.. before i get too far off track.. we get $10.00 a foot for decals, $5.00 for 6 inch and $10 for 12 inch but we also do alot of lettering for the standard rate, ie. $1.00 each letter for 3 inch letters, $1.25 for 4 inch, $45.00 for car magnets pairs, $10.00 for yard signs and so on.

You just have to find out what the people are willing to spend at the "show" if no ones buying  then next game try lowering the price until you get swamped, but dont go too low, I wouldnt go below the $5.00 line anywhere for a 6 inch decal. anyway, let us know how it goes  :thumbsup:

I got into this business to be able to do just this type of work but have found myself struggling on the simplest things which put my turn over time wayyy behind..License Plates are a huge thing around here and I have a generic template but it doesnt line up exactly right..Does anyone have any templates they would share to help out a learning newbie..I have a great market to be able to offer to but my design layout is no where near where I need to be to do custom stuff and my turn over is slow so I doubt I will be doing fairs,flea markets, or events anytime soon

Whats the plate size and i will email you a template, i do it all the time for street signs at the flea market, just pull up the template and type in the words, size, and cut. Dont worry, it will get easier as you do more.

email me @ wicked.vinyl@yahoo.com

Keith

Yes we sell this way every weekend at a flea market and do well. We also so it this way and school football and soccer games. We do great at those. We did a soccer game about 2 weeks ago and in 2 1/2hrs we did $700 in sales. We are doing their next home game on the 23rd of this month also. Geeting in with the booster clubs is one of the best things we have done.

Can you tell us a lil more? What type % do you work out with them? Are your figures in line with what Beth suggests? The boosters are already set up to sell garments at our games but maybe I could do the decals. Are you able to get them all cut right at the games? Does it usually translate into future sales too? Details we want details  :thumbsup:

Sure thing.... What we do is give them a dollar amount from each item that were selling. Example: Licence plate $2, decal $3, T shirt $3 sweat shirts $4 Yard sign $5.

We make alot of the garments the the clubs sell already so we just offer to setup a booth and offer it all at one place and they dont have to keep any in stock, we do all that. It works out GREAT. It is pretty hard to get in with schools, but once your in get ready to work...

We are able to complete most jobs on the spot. We do take orders and they can pick them up from our shop which is very easy for them to get to.

We do get alot of other sales from being there also. Even from the visiting schools for that game..lol

Thanks Spyder/everyone I appreciate the info in this post. This seems like something that might work for me. I already sell to the smaller groups within our school. A lil harder to get into the Boosters and anything to do with the Athletic Department though. I live in a very small town, we also have a farmer's market/flea market during the summer/fall on weekends. This might work along the same lines for that arena as well. Not a ton of traffic even though it is off a major highwy thru town but maybe enough to get my name out a bit more.

I will be cutting live at a festival for the first time in October. I am looking forward to it.

Dave

You'll have to let us know how it goes, pros/cons and what ya might do differently pleeeze