Sign in to follow this  
wdcisco

Is this good?

I'm doing a lil research on an Encad Novajet  4 I have laying around...can anyone tell me what this is good for?

How old is it? How would the quailty be?

NovaJet

"300 x 300 dpi (monochrome and color)

600 x 600 dpi (monochrome only)"

"Windows 3.1 driver

Windows 95 driver

Windows NT 4.0 driver"

Paperweight, maybe?

lol..that's one big paperweight! You mind telling me what this means?:

"300 x 300 dpi (monochrome and color)

600 x 600 dpi (monochrome only)"

What can it be used for?

It is intended for plotting of large size blueprints, hence the Autocad drivers.  Plotting of this type doesn't require high dpi's, as it's typically just line drawings.

300x300 or 600x600 is low resolution, by comparison to say, a modern desktop printer, which might produce 1440x1440.

Does it use actual pens for the different colors?  I worked with plotters of the same era that had different slots that you put different color pen/markers in, depending on the job.

Edit:  I found this that refers to the Nova Jet 4's  http://www.wide-format-printers.org/signage_banners_posters_inkjet_printing_compare-prices_graphics_reviews/Encad-NovaJet-Pro50_large-format-inkjet-printer_price-comparisons.php

Hey thanks midwaste!! Wish I could give you a gold star or something lol

:);D ;D ;D that'll do..

Actually this printer could be quite useful.  I know the 256 color still gives you a pretty wide range of options for full color printing.  You can still purchase supplies from many companies, one of which is http://www.ikonsupplies.com/browse/supplieslist.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302116442&bmUID=1214392334668  I'd say with a decent laminate you have a possible moneymaker on your hands.  A lot of customers who don't want something super flashy could end up giving you a lot of business.  Your overhead would be a little less and your profit could actually be pretty decent.  I would definitely be willing to try and get the old boy up and running just to see!

Guest round2racing

Here ya go Midwaste!!!!

You are such a wealth of information for all of us!!!

post-0-12986541280914_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986541290009_thumb.jpg

Actually this printer could be quite useful.  I know the 256 color still gives you a pretty wide range of options for full color printing.  You can still purchase supplies from many companies, one of which is http://www.ikonsupplies.com/browse/supplieslist.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302116442&bmUID=1214392334668  I'd say with a decent laminate you have a possible moneymaker on your hands.  A lot of customers who don't want something super flashy could end up giving you a lot of business.  Your overhead would be a little less and your profit could actually be pretty decent.  I would definitely be willing to try and get the old boy up and running just to see!

Now that's what I wanted to hear! lol --- vicious, I am sort of new to the whole printing thing, what do you mean when you say laminate? You can't just print on clear vinyl and apply to a banner for instance? What are these steps?

In other words, this may be good for printing text, but maybe not pictures/graphics in detail?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!  :)