Sign in to follow this  
poppie

HP DesignJet

I have a HP DesignJet Printer/plotter. I believe it's a Model 450, but I'll make sure if necessary. The question is simply: Are there any kits I could use or modifications that can be done to convert this unit into either a vinyl printer, sublimation printer, cutter or another useful device?

From my understanding the only HP Designjet printers that can be converted over to UV ink is the 5500ps.

Your best bet would be to either laminate the decal or spray some frog juice on it.

Poppie,

I called HP support a while ago, I was looking for samples of their banner material to test. I actually found someone who was pretty helpful. I was asking him about converting my Designjet 800ps to uv inks. he said that there isn't any way to do this on my model, at least. He said that the inks would ruin the print heads. Which is probably true. So I abandoned the idea. I can't afford to replace or screw up this plotter ($$$$). They were pretty helpful though, try giving them a call, yours might be different. He did make a few suggestions that have improved the performance and color quality.

Peabody

Still can't get anyone to send me samples of HP banner materials though.

;) Being in the technology business for a long time, my experience says, of course HP wouldn't/couldn't help. They aren't in the business of designing/selling conversion kits. I was looking for a third-party that may have done it. BTW, it's a 750C DesignJet.