Sign in to follow this  
Dolphin

Glass Block ?

I notice that people are decorating glass block, and my question is:

The glass blocks do they have a hole in it? or are the solid?

If it is solid how hard is it to put a hole in it to make it a bank or to put lights in it?

Thanks for your help!

You can buy them with holes in them already for not much more at a craft place.  Not sure how hard it is to put a hole in it...I wouldn't think it would be too hard with a drill press but i have not tried.

Guest kenya

All the glass blocks that I have seen are hollow core.

My husband uses a water injected circular saw with a diamond blade to cut slots into them to

use them as banks. Then he uses a diamond tip hole saw to cut the hole for a rubber plug.

We have all kinds of glass cutting tool since we own a glass company. :thumbsup:

But all these kinds of cutters are available on the internet.

We've never cut them to put lights into them, but have seen them.

Guest crshirts

Diamond holesaw and lots of water to keep cool.

slow steady pressure, best with drill press. Easy to do just go slow.

Carl

I've used s drill press, water and drill bit for cutting ceramics. They can and have bust on me while drilling, I've learned to wear gloves to hold them while drilling. Don't forget safety glasses.

I have made these for years.  I used to put the small strand of white Christmas tree lights in them, but I switched to a night light type light.  I use my drill press and a bit for glass cutting.  I go slow and use water frequently to cool the bit.  I have had some crack.  I drill the hole, decorate and put the light in.  I haven't tried vinyl yet.  I made mine with graphics on adhesive sheets.  I would print my graphics on a full size adhesive sheet, use a thin one sided laminate over the top, cut it and apply it to one side of the block.  I would add ribbon around the block or a bow on top, on some of them.  I had trouble getting glass blocks locally, Lowe's carries some.  I don't think we have any craft stores that carry them predrilled, we don't have many choices around here.  Shipping would be a nightmare, they are so heavy.

Good luck.

Nancy

Guest kenya

Sandy, We use rubber body plugs. You can get them from any auto parts supply.

I get mine from NAPA. You just have to get the ones that are deep enough to fit snug.

I'm sure there are online sources for large quanities, but I've never needed many at one time.

Guest Schramm

I cant remember who but someone used to sell the blank blocks with the hole already in them wholesale.  You may want to do google search.

I called about the glass blocks on the web site you posted. 11.00 a block with shipping included. You have to buy a minimum of 10 blocks. Sandy

I called about the glass blocks on the web site you posted. 11.00 a block with shipping included. You have to buy a minimum of 10 blocks. Sandy

WOW, Lowe's has them for $9.00 so does Hobby Lobby.

$.03

Jon

WOW, Lowe's has them for $9.00 so does Hobby Lobby.

$.03

Jon

I think the ones on the website have holes in them already. Worth the $3 especially if you want a large sized hole like they offer.

I have bought a both Lowe's and Hobby Lobby and they all had holes allready

The local Lowes doesn't have them pre-drilled. Have to drill them yourself. It not too bad doing a 5/8" hole but if you want a large cutout it is nearly impossible.

I thought it was expensive also...Plus, the hole is only 5/8 inch and a night light wouldn't fit.Tiny Christmas lights would I guess.

Pittsburgh Corning also makes them as "Specialty items" in their thin line series.

I found a glass block distributor (sells to contractors, etc.) locally that will sell them a case at a time.  I haven't bought any for a year or so, but they were running about $5.65 wholesale (picked up) through them.  They have the molded slot and the rubber plug included.

I just checked one of the Pittsburgh Corning blocks.  The hole is 1 3/8 inches.

Guest Schramm

The ones I mentioned already have a hole cut into them!