Sign in to follow this  
kst8catfan

Denim Shirt Problem

I recently started doing single color logos on 100% cotton and 50-50 cotton using Stahl's Econoprint heat press vinyl with good success.  Heat set to 330 deg., medium pressure, at about 10 seconds, preheating the t-shirts first.  Worked well.

I tried this morning to use the same technique and vinyl on button up 100% cotton blue denim shirts (Jerzees brand J-10).  Same settings and all but the vinyl wouldn't adhere to the denim.  It lifted off like I had never heat pressed it at all.  I tried leaving in the heat press for up to 30 seconds with the same results.

I got on line with Stahl's support chat and they indicated there shouldn't be any difference with the way I applied the vinyl to the t-shirts and the denim.

Still attempting to solve my problem, I was going to try different temps and times using the inside of a denim shirt.  I placed a small scrap of vinyl on the inside of the fabric at the bottom of the tail and it worked perfectly the first time using my original settings.

My question is this...Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there something weird with the outside finish of denim shirts that prevents vinyl from adhering?

Anyone else run across this?

Thanks

Kris

Did you pre-press to be sure you didn't have any moisture issues?

Are you sure you are getting good solid pressure all the way across the vinyl?  If you can't get all the buttons and seems off to the side of the platen, then you might need to use a Tee Pad It! to build up the area you are pressing to get good contact. 

Do you have a good press?

I'm using a Geo Knight 15"x15" press that I feel is pretty good quality. I AM placing the vinyl above the pocket, so I suppose the thickness of the pocket and one of the tiny collar hold down buttons could be getting in the way of the platen.  I don't have a Pad-It.  Can you give me a suggestion on some type of substitute?

Thanks   

SUCCESS !!!!!

Never thought of using a mouse pad, but I did use a piece of 1/4" foam core that I cut to a size slightly larger than the vinyl area.

I wouldn't have thought the thickness of a pocket would keep the vinyl from adhering, but it sure did in this case.

I noticed that I still had to press for 20 seconds instead of the usual 10 seconds, but it came out great.

Thanks to those who replied...your suggestions got me out of a jamb.

Kris

Mouse pad can be handy, but gotta be careful that they are made from the right stuff or you can have a real mess.  Glad it worked out for you.

Any woven shirt should always be embroidered.  Never screen printed or vinyl transfered....

Any woven shirt should always be embroidered.  Never screen printed or vinyl transfered....

Why.

Every shirt you've ever worn has been woven- at least 90%, maybe not some new synthetics that I've never seen

All wholesalers refer to a denim style shirt as woven.

The reason I will not screen print or use vinyl on a woven shirt is simple.  The image/logo washes out/off leaving me with an unhappy customer.  Embroidery will last as long as the garment.  Granted, a decent single head embroidery machine will run you $7,500.

I have been in the screen print/embroidery business for 15 years, and trust me, I have learned from my mistakes.  (the hard way)

http://www.ozarkmountainscreenprinting.com/