Pappy

The science of marketing.....

I've had several people email me about a post I made a while back.  Its in this thread.... 

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,15797.0.html

I seem to forget I'm on a vinyl cutting forum and not a business/marketing forum.

I've been in the marketing business for around 10 years.  Did a bunch before that but it was UN-educated marketing.

Some worked, some didn't.  Still experimenting to this day. 

I decided to put together some quick picks.  So here they are....

Value....  Its not about value all of the time.  Some people will buy because of price, most will buy because of the BENEFIT. 

ie.  sell the sizzle not the steak.

Humor...  don't over do it, but it does have a place in marketing.  Complaining customers....  I alway ask them "would you like a

little bit of cheese with that whine?"  Always gets a laugh.  Lighten up the mood and you will make more sales.

Testimonials:  Get your really satisfied customers to give you a GLOWING testimony.  Use it on your website, advertising, flyers, etc.

If you don't have any, do something for free for a non profit org.  Pets, religious, homeless, orgs always need stuff.

L OO K for opps.  Driving down the street always have your eyes open to new opps, and what others are doing.  The best way to

be successful is to emulate them.  Common sense...  look for worn out signs, new biz, sorry looking storefronts, etc...

GET excited about what you do.  Enthusiam plays a big part in your marketing, sales, and NUMBER of sales.

Study up on your industry.  Subscribe to print/trade magazines.  Study your competition.  LEARN and grow rich.

The old saying goes, If you make a sale, you can earn some money.  If you make a friend, you can earn a fortune.  Become friends with your

customers.  Drop in just because.  Be the one they can call for anything.  Get to know electricians, plumbers, computer people, etc.  They will

call you when they have a problem no matter what it is. 

If you're cold calling, get to the decision maker.  Fooling around with the secretary  :thumbsup: doesn't cut it.  Carry something with your company name

on it to give to them....mugs, pens, candy, etc...  this will get you to the decision maker faster. 

Be honest.... If its too big of a job tell them that.  OR have someone on your professional list that the work can be sub contracted out to.

Be creative..  Have more than one product ready to present to them.  They don't need lettering, have something else in mind.

Send gifts.... Not much.  A thank you note with a discount coupon. Or a fruit basket for larger clients.  THIS WILL BE REMEMBERED.

JOIN a club.  I don't care if its rosies bar beer drinking club.  NETWORKING is key. 

Have fun!  who likes a JOB?  If you are relaxed and enjoy what you do it will reflect in your attitude.  Thus reflecting in your pocket book.

Treat this business as a BUSINESS.  A lot of people tend to treat their business's as a hobby.  If that's what you want fine, BUT you will

get out of it, what you put into it. 

Get every book you can find on sales and marketing.  Zig Ziglar is really excellent. 

Well I'm tired of typing....  I'm sure you guys have plenty of tips and tricks.  These are just the ones that came off of the top of my head. 

For what that's worth!  ;D

later...

Pappy

Thanks for taking the time to post this great information... I'm sure many will find this helpful!

My thoughts

Customer service is a HUGE part of your business.

If your customers feel you treated them like you cared and they where important they will come back and tell all there friends.

People love FREE STUFF if you do a banner or something for a client throw in a couple free decals at time of delivery (there website, logo,store hours whatever) don't tell them ahead of time just give it to them on delivery. they be vary happy.

Zig Ziglar is great but also listen to Dan Millers podcast

http://48days.com/podcast/podcast.php

Guest fivestar

Customer service is a HUGE part of your business.

If your customers feel you treated them like you cared and they where important they will come back and tell all there friends.

I've been in business for over 20 yrs and this is probably the biggest mistake people do, they DON'T take care of their customers.

Excellent read Pappy, thanks for posting.

Thanks for the kind replies...  Why do people forget about customer service?  do they just take the money and run???  You know its a LOT easier (AND CHEAPER) to KEEP a customer than it is to get a new one.  Continuity...  That's what I use to PREACH to my team of programmers.  Keep our clients happy! 

But some people just don't get it. 

Another thing that gets me is these companies who don't care about the little guy.  I had a guy that called me today about a penny annie job...  Maybe $20 at best.  He was poor, just starting out, trying to make a living after getting laid off.  One company had quoted him $75 for 2 18 x24 yard signs.  I told him I would do it for $20 and he could pay me whenever....  OH btw he turned me on to a $2000 account. 

You never know...  Did I say something about referrals?  ;D

Pappy

It's really great to make some money but sometimes its fun to help someone who really needs it.  by the way, great advice. Marketing is always a challenge.  Things that work one time won't work the next time.  There is always something new to be aware of.

Gary

One example for me is a detailing and window tint company.  I met them on a local forum, they asked me to come by and drop some business cards off and introduce myself, so I did and along with the business cards I made them a free coro-plast sign with thier logo and window tint and the number.  Just got a call yesterday from a big printshop in our area that wants to do business with us.  They want to sub all thier vehicle lettering and signs to us!!!!!  Ive got a meeting with the lady this morning.  Where did they get our name and number, the detail shop.....and she said we came highly recommended...from a company that we only did one FREE sign for.  Just my 2 cents....