Sign in to follow this  
Dbannon

Boat graphics

I'm currently using Oracal 651 on general signs, but a local boat dealer wants me to start doing boats. Is this good vinyl to use, or do I need 751 or something completely different? Would appreciate any help.

Guest stunad, jr.

taken from the 'net

"For boats a high quality vinyl is normally used and it is the same material that is used for most signage. This type of vinyl comes in various colors and finishes, it even comes in metallic. Just like anything else, vinyl comes in different name brands such as 3M, Arlon, Oracal, and Avery. Many are quite expensive while others are reasonable. Regardless of the price when it comes to vinyl that is used for graphics and signage, price is not the pertinent factor her but rather quality and the ability to work with the material. Broken down even further there are three subcategories of vinyl, calendered, cast, and intermediate. Another consequential factor is the life of the vinyl. This is important depending on the task at hand. The vinyl can be used for applications that are good for one year up to 9 years. This also holds true for vehicle graphics as well as boat graphics as they are pretty much one in the same.

Calendered vinyl is the cheapest so of course it is also the one that will have the shortest life. This type of vinyl is poured into a mold and then stretched out which makes it much less durable and eventually it will crack apart and the color will fade which is why most do not use this type of vinyl for work that requires quality and longevity. This is the type of vinyl that would best be suited for such this as banners or pieces that have a very short need. The max that you should expect any significant quality from this material is up to one year. Intermediate vinyl is a mid grain vinyl and is actually a cross between the other two, meaning it is not as good as cast vinyl but it is far better than calendered vinyl. This type of vinyl usually last around five years or so before it begins to crack and fade.

This is mostly used for decals and such but on the downside of this particular vinyl it is only good for flat surfaces. It is not recommended for any type of contour surfaces on boats or vehicles as it will surely buckle and bubble over time. Cast vinyl is the best vinyl that there is. The reason for this is twofold, one it comes in a thickness of 2 mil and second because it can be used for any task and will apply to any type of surface. All surfaces are not flat and this cast vinyl is the only one that will adhere nicely to the rivets. The other vinyls will leave a bubble or a perforation that will in time certainly crack. Therefore, when it comes to vehicle and boat graphics the best and only choice for materials to use would be cast vinyl. All vinyl is weather resistant but for vehicles and boats the absolute best choice is cast vinyl also because it has high life expectancy and it is easy to work with even on places that are not flat and smooth."

I would personally use Oracal 851 and then use a "seal-it-pen" of the edges, just to be on the safe side.

Guest kenya

I would personally use Oracal 851 and then use a "seal-it-pen" of the edges, just to be on the safe side.

+1  :thumbsup: