Sign in to follow this  
wwpro

Want to buy by Sunday night

Sorry to start a new thread, but is going to be easier for me I guess.

I'd like to order a cutter by Sunday night and get as many recommendations as I can. I'd be ordering a heat press next months.

I think that I'll go with the Refine after reading about it goodness, I was going for a 24" Laser Point, since I'd like to get into t-shirts later on.

So my order will be :

Refine 24" or should I get the 33" for $40 more ?

Throw $30 more and get SignCut X2 or stick with SBE ?

Maybe starter vinyl package, and some app tape. What else do you guys suggest ? Extra blades ? Everything goes on a $9.99 flat shipping  rate ?

What cheapo vinyl should I get from eBay to "train" on, so I don't trash the good vinyl ?

Thanks in advance for the guidance

Sounds like a good start. Get Oracal in 15" to start. That way when u get it cutting right u dont have to go through adjustments & setups again. My .02

Is going to sound stupid, but I really didn't get what you're trying to say.

I understand but it doesn't make sense to me, I'm still getting the idea of all of this

wwpro,

Welcome to the cutting world! Alien is telling you to start with oracle vinyl, its considered to be the "good stuff" His reasoning is so once you get the hang of cutting you will not have to make any adjustments to your machine. That makes sense to me but if you are really wet behind the ears, you may want to try out the starter packs that uscutter has to offer because you may very likely mess it up on the first few cuts. I got a starter pack and for a newby that vinyl can frustrate you because it can be hard to work with.

Maybe you wont need a whole starter pack to start with, maybe just one roll.

I own a pcut cutter, 25 inch and have never found the need to have a bigger cutter. not yet at least. I do alot of shirts and I find that the widest I need is 15 inch vinyl.

Make sure you have weeding tools, application tape (paper and clear) for your window, banner, signs and wall applications.

This forum is great tool to have, the people here are great and very helpful! Have fun and happy cutting!

Renee

Go to Office Depot and buy a roll of white paper on a roll. Before you cut the vinyl, use the plotter pen and "draw" your designs to see if rollers are tracking right. I didn't waste any vinyl while learning, just used some paper to practice.Sandy

Cre8tiveCutter, thanks for the explanation, now that make sense. I was thinking more about the dimensions of the vinyl instead of the type of vinyl.

Sandy, I was thinking of that last night but didn't knew that was possible.  Does that white paper has the alignment holes? Does that paper has a specific name or any apaper will do it ?

thanks a lot

looking forward to get "addicted" :thumbsup:

+1 on the paper and pen. I'm testing a design right now using the back side of some freezer paper (waxed side down).

Your vinyl doesn't need holes, same with paper.  Any paper on a roll should do.

Also I would go with the Mh 871...I did and am so happy that I did.  Sure the 30" rolls of vinyl are a little more expensive but over and over again my designs just seem to fit better on the 30" rolls than the couple 24" rolls of colors I have bought, and I  have already done several designs that required the full 29.5" cuttable area to get it done.  So yeah my .02 get the larger cutter for the little extra money, I am sure glad that I did.

Good luck

yeah, I went with the 871, $40 more but I'd rather having those extra inches just in case.

Sorry about the stupid question about the holes, but since I've never seen a uscutter "in person" I didn't knew if it were rolls or the same system used for the dot matrix printers.

Some older machines use the holes. Most new ones do not. However the rolls still have holes for the older machines.