Sign in to follow this  
GearboxGraphics

Layering - Heat Press vs. Vinyl Graphics

Hey all, I have been looking at purchasing a heat press to make some shirts with and am curious about the transfer process with a typical heat press.

Say I want to create a 2 color design. Obviously, I know how to do this when making a standard vinyl decal, but is the process the same for heat press as well? I have watched several videos on it, but everyone only creates simple, 1-color stuff.

So, lets say that I use the Siser EasyWeed material and I cut a 2-color graphic that is designed in my LXi (Flexi) software. Can I simply apply one graphic with the press for a few seconds, then simply lay the other over top and apply it as well, thus making a 2-color shirt? Seems easy enough, but so did vinyl graphics when I first started! :D

What are the typical press times/temperatures when going this route?

Thanks!

--Cory

Guest fivestar

Yup it's that simple.  First layer press for about 5 seconds then peel the backing off then press the last layer for the recommended time which for Easyweed I believe it 15 seconds.

Fivestar knows all about layering heatpress vinyl!

If we are doing an outline color for text, is best to make the under layer just slightly larger than the top layer.  So that its basically a solid layer the full width of the design.  Or can we just do an outline piece that is hollow in the center that will overlap under the top layer just around the edge and if so, how much overlap is needed?  Just concerned that it will get too thick and hard if we overlap the entire design.

Guest fivestar

Fivestar knows all about layering heatpress vinyl!

If we are doing an outline color for text, is best to make the under layer just slightly larger than the top layer.  So that its basically a solid layer the full width of the design.  Or can we just do an outline piece that is hollow in the center that will overlap under the top layer just around the edge and if so, how much overlap is needed?  Just concerned that it will get too thick and hard if we overlap the entire design.

Not much is needed, less then an 1/8 of an inch.  Actually I did a test on thermoflex plus last week after someone heard it didn't shrink after pressing so I tried it and it didn't shrink at all.  So basically you just need enough to cover the seam, but I'd go an 1/8 to 1/4 inch to be safe.