Sign in to follow this  
sarconastic

Laserpoint 24" Right machine for me?

I have been intrigued by getting a vinyl cutter for a while. Just like anything else, it starts out small and the more I research the more I want and the more I think I need. Initially I thought it would be cool to be able to make decals for my band, the price of the machine is about the same as paying for a couple batches from a dealer. Then i see it can do contour cutting (had to look that up), and I now want that option too, cause I can do band t-shirts, and save us a boatload of money on those. So that adds a heat press to the equation,  so I look up presses and of course find the 6 in 1 press that also does mugs, and caps and plates,(just keeps growing don't it).

When I started this endeavor I was just thinking of making a few stickers in the basement once in a while. Now after talking to several people it seems like I could get a few jobs that will help pay for my equipment and maybe make a few dollars on the side now and then. Provided I can do mugs and hats.

I am not wanting to make a full time business out of this (yet anyway) I am just wanting to be able to do the things listed above, as well as a few caps and coffee cups. I put together a package in my cart on this site and for around $1200 I get the Laserpoint 24 on the stand, the 6 in 1 heat press, a selection of vinyl, some Easyweed transfer material, and the basic tools for application etc, and some 60 deg blades.

Ok my questions are.

1. I have seen a lot of posts concerning small lettering being a hassle on the Laserpoint, would it be safe to say that most of these are either material quality or setup issues and that with proper setup I should be able to cut down to say 1/4" or so letters regularly without trouble?

2. I have researched other machines and in my price range this machine appears to giver me the best bang for my buck, and the support to back it up (Ken Imes interaction in these forums sealed that). I saw where I could buy the same machine on ebay for about $50 less (which I assume are refurb units or returns., but only 90days warranty then. Would this be a viable option or would you recommend just paying the full price and getting the new unit.

3. Has anyone used the LP 24 in these applications and what are your results, good or bad?

I am sure I have a hundred other questions, and will be one here asking more after I buy the unit, but for now I thank anyone who provides me with feed back.

Kevin Woodyard

SW Iowa

I have an LP24 and love it.  I too bought it because the first job I did paid the machine off, and was still cheaper than my local FastSigns.  (Still kicking myself for all the money I gave them for basic cut vinyl..)

I would look a little further into the 6in1 heat press.  I havent heard great things about it, and you may sacrifice quality on the things you really need (shirts and caps) for functionality you may never use (the other 4 things).  Additionally, mugs are a different story, you can't heat press vinyl onto mugs, you will need to use printed sublimation paper and special sublimation-ready mugs.  However, I have heard of people putting good quality vinyl onto mugs and having it last a long time, even through a dishwasher.

I guess all I am saying is don't overestimate how many mugs and caps you will do to justify the 6in1, it may be many fewer.

I got a 9x12 old heat press for nothing and it has served doing shirts well.  You can move the design around and re-press if the design is larger than 9x12.  I am planning on buying a 15x15, as soon as I can justify it.

I bought my LP24 on ebay, USCutter used to sell them on there direct before they got the site setup, not sure if they still do.  They were new machines, not refurbs or used.  However, I got it cheaper than $50 off due to luck in timing..

I have done 1/4" and smaller letters, the LP will cut it fine.  However, the difficulty comes in weeding it.  If you use cheapass vinyl, forget it.  But if you use decent vinyl and have a good eye and good fingers, it's no problem.

I would recommend getting two or so rolls of cheap vinyl, white and black.  Practice on these and then don't buy anything below Oracal 651 or the equivalent.  Dont load up at first with cheap vinyl, you'll just let it sit when you realize how much nicer the better stuff is.

I got a sample of Easyweed in the mail the other day, it is by far the best heatpress vinyl I have seen/felt.  I have used Thermoflex Plus and Spectra Eco-film (which is pretty nice), but Siser is the closest to screenprinting, IMO.

Just my 0.02, go for it.  You wont regret it.

I haven't had my laserpoint too long, but I'm extremely happy with the results I get from it.

I've been lurking these boards for a bit, and I'm sure if you get the laserpoint, you'll have plenty of help and support from others on here.  I went with the 36" cutter because I've always felt that looking towards the future, you want something that can do more than what you initially need. (i.e. larger lettering, etc...)  I've also learned that weeding out the bigger things can actually be a little more time consuming (but that could be just my inexperience :thumbsup:)

I did the dye sub on the coffee mugs years ago, but felt that the return on investment wasn't what it should have been at the time.  I used a dedicated mug press for the mugs, and eventually sold it because the demand just wasn't there, and the expense outweighed what most wanted to pay.  It's good for doing local festivals and such, but as a business machine, the press just didn't cut it.  Now a heat press on the other hand is worth it's weight in gold.  The bigger, the better.  You may not want to press larger images to start with, but eventually you'll find the need for the larger size.  Screen printing is my main gig, but i still use heat presses on a regular basis. And the bright side to that is the press will probably retain it's value if you take good care of it.

Good luck.

Thank you both midwaste and jhenye for your responses. Sounds like the Cutter is what I want for sure. The questions I have concern the 6 in 1 press.

midwaste:

1.This sublimation paper is new to me, I looked it up a bit, but could you explain the process to me. Is it basically printing it out on a printer, then contour cutting it and applying it. I also noticed a device that apparently bakes a clear finish over the finished mug to increase durability. The reason i am so curious, is out of all the stuff these machines will do, the mugs seem to have drawn the most interest, shirts and hats a close second and third. Would I be better buying the 15" basic heat press and investing in separate mug/hat presses? Keep in mind my budget right now is limited to around $1200 and with the 6 in 1 I could probably at the least pay for the Press with a couple of tentative orders I have already for mugs.

2.what have you heard about the 6 in 1 heat press that would shy you away from it?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Kevin Woodyard

I am no expert, but my understanding is you need to set up a printer (typically Epson) with sublimation ink cartridges or a CIS (continuous ink system) and use paper designed for sublimation.  I don't think you even need to contour cut it, because when you heat press it on to a sublimation-ready blank (coffee cup/plate/mousepad, etc), the only thing left behind is the ink.

If you have the demand for mugs and hats, by all means get the 6in1.  However, I have heard that the combination units do each thing OK, while a dedicated flat heat press may work better.

The 6in1 is a Chinese made heat press, which I have overall not heard good things of.  However, if I had the demand for hats or mugs, I would still try my luck.  I do not think that any reputable company makes a combination unit.

There is a separate sub-forum about the 6in1's and clamshell heat presses on here, check it out.

Thanks agin for the response. I had checked out the forum on the 6 in 1. I am from the midwest, farm country, so I have spent my whole life having to make stuff work. You know the bailing wire and pliers scenario. But that in mind, I have bought several "chinese" tools over the years to use in my profession, many have ended up in dumpster heaven, but at the same time I have some that are 20+ years old and have done a great job. Many times it was just a matter of a little re-setup of the machine prior to use.

I have been researching the cost i would have in getting the machines to do this separately and right now I just can't afford it. So I am going to take the risk and try the 6 in 1 with the Lp 24 and see if I can do what i need. I figure if it works semi ok, i can make a little money and get a better Press and separate machines as I need them.

My only real concern right now is the learning curve. Patience isn't my middle name by far.

thanks again

Kevin

Thats good that you are willing to tinker around a bit, that's the main reason I wouldn't have any problem buying one.  There's very few components in one of those that couldn't be repaired.

Besides, I have a Chinese cutter and it works great!  :D

You should be able to find the answer to any question you have involving the LP or get one quick around here.

Again, you won't regret it.

Well, my order is placed. I got the LP 24 and the 6 in 1 with s selection of vinyl and easyweed, and a few squeegees and stuff. Now I'm just setting here goin' nuts about when it will get here.  :od

Thanks to everyone who has been a great help on this forum, it made it a lot easier to be sure I was buying the right equipment to get started and up and running.

Now i just have to start the learning curve process and see how it goes.

Thanks again

Kevin