Dellrose Custom Lighting

Time for a new cutter.

Well, it is time for a new cutter. Right now, I am looking at either the Graphtec CE-5000-60 24" Cutting Plotter, or the Roland GX-24 Vinyl Cutter Plotter. In ya'lls opinion, which do you think would be the best for the money? I am looking to spend between $1200-1500 for one and I know that both of these are good units. The only thing that I have going against me is, my computer has Vista 64-bit on it. I have never had any trouble with my laserpoint 24, but I aint sure if anything else will be compatible with my system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason (Dellrose)

Vista 64 on my new laptop.. and XP Pro on my old laptop... I run vinyl master pro cutter software.. and it don't like the vista 64 :D some times it lock up on me.

Like I said earlier, I have vista 64 on my desktop also. So far, I have not had any problems with it, other that it dont like SBE but my laptop that has XP also dont like it either.

I just finished taking Vista off my computer and going to XP Pro so I could run Flexi. It would not run under Vista.

Graphtec is the only way to go. I am running XP with no problems. Just got mine yesterday, it cut 2mm high text right out of the box. I did some contour cutting today and all I can say is this thing is awsome.

And Jason, if you are seriously looking at the Graphtec, check out UScutters prices. Best price I could find and the customer service was exceptional.

Joel

If it was my money I would go with the copam. I know that was not in your picks but it is just as good as either of those machines at almost half the cost. I have had mine for a little over a year and would buy another one today if this one broke.. It is the best machine I have had. Never fails. Just my input though go with copam and save some cash..

There is a review on the copam, graph and roland and copam is rated right up there if not better.. Ill see if I can find that review to post it

Well, the hunt is over. I have ordered a Graphtec CE-5000 from USCutter. One of the main reasons that I am going with this unit, is because they will supposedly be releasing a driver for this unit that will make it compliant with the Vista-64. I never could find anything about the roland being compatible with Vista-64 and I could not find a unit that came with the stand that was in my price range. I have been looking for awhile, and the only reason that I was able to do this is because I sold one of my 4-wheelers and my wife said that I could use the money for a new cutter and this took every bit of it. As soon as I get it set-up and a few cuts run through it, I will post a new thread about what I like/dislike about it. One order that I will be doing has 3 lines of text and the shortest one is about 75-80 inches long, so I guess I will get to see if it tracks good also. Again, thanks to everyone's input.

Thanks, Jason (Dellrose)

Congrats on the purchase Jason... I've very interested in hearing/reading your write up as I may upgrade towards the end of this year.

I went Graphtec as well. I needed a more accurate cutter. I still am keeping my big one around for a backup, or in case I have some large vinyl to cut (doubt it but never know).

Guest sciondrgn

I'm saving for a graphtec as well :D

Why did you need a new cutter?:thumbsup:?

The main reason that I am getting a new cutter is because like Rob said, I need something more accurate. Now dont get me wrong, I like my LP, but it dont do very good at tracking on long cuts. I will be keeping it to use, but the main thing that I will use it for is doing heat press vinyl. After I get the graphtec setup, I will move my LP to another room and do all of my shirts in there, that way I dont get the fuzz all over my vinyl decals. Now if I hadnt sold my 4-wheeler, there aint no way I would have got one right now.

No way i would sell my quads for a cutter, but i did sell the wheels right off my truck to buy my copam, kinda like shirt off the back,lol When i bought my Dodge on 22's I sold my 36" Pro Comps and had enough to get my copam, best decision i ever made..

www.myspace.com/juniorranger

Congrats on the Graphtec purchase  :thumbsup: Graphtec are so awesome you will love it...

Guest sciondrgn

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger.. Arrgg I gotta stop looking at them or Im going to end up buying one LOL.. Im trying to save all profit from vinyl jobs towards it :thumbsup:

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger.. Arrgg I gotta stop looking at them or Im going to end up buying one LOL.. Im trying to save all profit from vinyl jobs towards it :)

I will be sure to tempt you some more when I get mine setup.  :thumbsup:

I have been using my Graphtec since Friday night, and I think that it is the best money that I have spent. The difference is like day from dark, it cuts soo much smoother and quieter than my LP does. I have already cut the vinyl for a 4' x6' sign and a 2' x 3' sign, and about 30-40 other decals that are about 4.5" x 9". Weeding them was alot better than with the LP also. Long story short, if you have the money, I would definitely recommend a Graphtec cutter.