I never messed with banners to much but someone came to me wanting a 4 x 8 done in all text possible two colors red and black. I think the banner itself is going to be around 30.00 but what would you charge for doing something that large and is it better to use a 10 oz. or 13 oz. since it's going to be outside on the side of the building?

Definitely go with a 13oz. banner material if it's going to be outside and exposed to the elements. Here's a link to BannerJohn's ebay banner guy(link to a 4'x8' banner @ $15.99 in 13oz.):http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4x8-13-oz-Premium-White-Gloss-Blank-Banner-Blank_W0QQitemZ110196802071QQihZ001QQcategoryZ46741QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

My 2009 SignCraft pricing guide says that sized banner should run about $160 to $189 for simple text in one color. The Sign Expert website says $240. I would personally be in the SignCraft price range, depending on how much wording they wanted.

we would be around 190 to 210 for a banner like that. hope you get the job!

Yeah I got it going to do it this week. I called three different places to get prices and they range from 150.00 to 160.00 but the guy had a written estimate for 130.00 so I told him I would do it for 125.00.

the guy had a written estimate for 130.00 so I told him I would do it for 125.00.

Good business move. My day job is inside sales (I'm an "Outside Wannabe" :D) and if a customer just says they were quoted a better price I try to get proof (tactfully, of course) that they aren't just BS'ing just to lowball my company. A written estimate is easy to justify to MGMNT when asking to "meet or beat" a competitor's price.

Z

Although it wasn't go banners... I just did this same thing to a customer. They had gotten 2 quotes for a very simple, yet large quanity job(about 1200+ decals)... I told him if he would email me the quotes, that I would try my hardest to beat them, but I needed to see what they were quoting first. After a quick review of the quotes, I put in a bid for a mere $0.05 less per decal and got the job. :D

After a quick review of the quotes, I put in a bid for a mere $0.05 less per decal and got the job. :)

Firemalt, There's almost always room to come down to meet or beat a competitor's price as you effectively demonstrated. I think that it's as simple as knowing before hand how low you can and can't go, and, when the time is right maybe even a hair lower. The only problem is once you do lower your price for a customer you're kinda "teaching" them (as well as any of their friends they brag to about their "really good deal") to beat you down on pricing from then on. Anyway, I bet you won on that one no matter how you look at it.  :) Am I right?

After a quick review of the quotes, I put in a bid for a mere $0.05 less per decal and got the job. :thumbsup:

Firemalt, There's almost always room to come down to meet or beat a competitor's price as you effectively demonstrated. I think that it's as simple as knowing before hand how low you can and can't go, and, when the time is right maybe even a hair lower. The only problem is once you do lower your price for a customer you're kinda "teaching" them (as well as any of their friends they brag to about their "really good deal") to beat you down on pricing from then on. WOW that is a great statement the sign business has been beaten dow pretty bad as it is what paid 7-15 bux a square foot 2 years ago now pays 1/3 that many in this area sell 3X10's for 75 bux I bet the quote book is way over that, I know the franchises prices aren't that cheap  go figure

that many in this area sell 3X10's for 75 bux I bet the quote book is way over that, I know the franchises prices aren't that cheap  go figure

Luckily, here in the Houston area a banner that size are still selling for about $150 or more depending on the details.