Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schramm

Instructional Video on How to Antique a Mirror - YouTube

Guest Schramm

Well I have had tons of emails from this site and others asking me to make a better video on How To Antique a piece of clear glass and make a antique mirror.  I have spent 1/2 the day making this one and 2 others that I am finishing up right now.  The videos are not hard to make but take up a lot of time especially doing the editing and doing the downloads.  This is total instruction but does not show the cleaning process as I am getting together a DVD for glass & decorative finishers that will be coming out in about 2 weeks that has all the steps including using masking patterns, cleaning, silvering, antiquing, tricked out effects, adding color, gilding, painting, adding art and a bunch more.

Let me know what you think as the feedback always helps!

Hi Schramm,

I have been checking out the videos, a lot of good information, really learning a lot from them. . This is just an observation, the text that scrolls across the screen sometimes blends into the background and is had to read. Maybe change the color, blue maybe.

Just a few question, what do you do with the excess solution after you're done? Does the distilled water neutralize it so it can just be poured out? Any EPR requirements for disposal? Are MSDS's available for the tinning solutions?

Thanks - Keep up the excellent work - Appreciate your contributions.

Peabody

Guest Schramm

Hi Schramm,

I have been checking out the videos, a lot of good information, really learning a lot from them. . This is just an observation, the text that scrolls across the screen sometimes blends into the background and is had to read. Maybe change the color, blue maybe.

Just a few question, what do you do with the excess solution after you're done? Does the distilled water neutralize it so it can just be poured out? Any EPR requirements for disposal? Are MSDS's available for the tinning solutions?

Thanks - Keep up the excellent work - Appreciate your contributions.

Peabody

I will think about color of font next time I make one.

To answer your question about disposal, these chemicals are no more harmful then household chemicals.  I put clay based kitty liter in a trash bag or using a piece of fine wool and pour the chemicals into it.  This entraps the solids and dries out the liquids which at this point can be disposed of in the landfill.  Of course there are MSDS sheets on the solutions which will be posted on my new mirror website once I am done building it.  I have to give people easy access to the MSDS anytime that you sell chemicals of any kind.

Guest Schramm

22 years of playing!  In all that time I have never had to force the products to do anything.