Sign in to follow this  
flaclassic

Pouncing with the copam 2500 ?

Old time sign painters tool, has a little wheel, about 1/4", with sharp points around it, and a handle on it about 5" long, run it over your paper pattern, it makes a series of holes through the paper, sand the back side with sandpaper to open the holes, place pattern in proper place on sign face, go over pattern with a chalk bag to transfer pattern onto sign face, then hand letter to make a sign the old way, B.C.  (before computers) , Some cutter/plotter machines have this capability, I was wondering if the Copam 2500 can do this.  I've made signs for over 20 years, and am a little late in catching up with the new computer age. 

Not that I have seen. Maybe one of the Techs from USCutter knows something though. We used to "Eyebrow" mylar to trace out on things. Never heard of a pounce wheel.

Thanks for the reply, never heard of eyebrowing on mylar, how does that work, is that something I can do to transfer patterns ? I didn't want to make any of you new style sign makers upset with me, just because it says "newbie" doesn't mean us older guys can't make signs, it is the "second oldest profesion". There were signs before computers. FWIW I also airbrush and pinstripe. (and I keep a dictionary at the shop) 

Eyebrowing is where you cut eye shaped holes along the lines you mark. Then you can mark through the mylar. Much like the pounce wheel. I used to work for an aircraft manufacturer and that is what we used to mark for painting design on the planes. Back in the day. Now it is all cut from pre-mask, stuck on and painted.

I worked in Engineering. The guys in the shop would trace skin laps and different features from the planes onto the vinyl. I would digitize them to include in the computer model so it could be used to locate the printed templates on the plane. I have never done hand lettering. It is a real art. I bought my cutter as a toy. My wife had seen the Wall Art that looks hand painted but done with vinyl. I told her for the price of buying a few of those we could own a machine and do our own. I have made banners, wall art, some other items that I have sold on eBay. I have paid for my cutter 20 times over in less than a year. The things you can use them for are endless.

Cool,  As a long time sign maker I would like to request that people using these machines research in Signcraft magazine the going prices for signs and related products so as not to under bid sign profesionals who are in business to make a living, you might be very suprised to find the market value for the things you can make. Please remember our overhead, insurance, shop rent, and all associated costs are very high. Please be fair to us, Thank you.

I know there are a number of people on the forum that make their living off of signs and banners. For many of us like me it is just a hobby.

I didn't mean to offend you or anyone, it is a great hobby, and a rewarding job. Thank you for your help on this.  I hear that the Jaguar plotter has a pouncing option as well as the roland plotters, I'm thinking if the copams blades will interchange with the rolands their pouncing set up may work also. Does anyone have any ideas on this subject ?