gcomfx

Mac User, Graphic Designer, Car Club Owner.

I'm looking for a basic 24" cutter to use.  To be honest the amount I've paid for vinyl for my car club events, I might as well buy a cutter and it will eventually pay for itself. I've read up on the contour cutting, I really don't see full color as a direction for me.  Just basic vinyl.

I am a Mac user.  I would MUCH rather use Illustrator than Correl Draw, but I can manage.  I'm using 10.3 at home and do not plan to upgrade to an Intel machine for some time.  I'm wanting to get into this as cheap as possible, but I don't want to throw away my money by going too cheap.

So what do you guys recommend.  Software, cutter, etc.  Do you really need a cutter stand?  LOL

Sorry about the late reply. If you are looking to use Illustrator I would recommend picking up SignCut X2 with your cutter. SignCut is Mac compatible and is designed to work with Illustrator.

As for the cutter I would recommend a USCutter MH721. Here is a link: http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-Vinyl-Cutter--12quot-25quot-33quot-or-50quot-inch_p_25.html

We do not sell these without stands. If you don't want a stand then I would look at the PCut. Here is a link: http://www.uscutter.com/Creation-PCUT-24-36-or-48_p_74.html

I have found more trouble and wasted vinyl with signcut x2 then the free software Signblazer elements.  I paid for a yr of signcut but use SBE.  I don't waste material and have little problems all the time.

SignCut X2 is really the only good option that you have for the Mac. Flexi has a Mac edition but it is new and very buggy.

Pcut (with stand) has been ordered.  Decided to try out the free software on our PC laptop to see how that goes before I pay for software.  Now what brand of vinyl does everyone recommend for automotive (outdoor) use.  And where's the best place to get it?

651 for outside vehicle decals works well.  Best prices with shipping is here.  Some people use the transfer tape here although I go signwarehouse.com and get the perfecttear plus awsome stuff works good with water also.

Cool thanks! 

I can't seem to find Oracal 651 Intermediate Calendared Vinyl in the 24" size... just the 15".  I don't think the film is what I need.

I did go ahead and order all three sample colors available... and the BGS sample kit for testing and temp decals.  I know I may not need the accessory kit, but after looking at the transfer paper, I figured what the heck.  Might as well try the spray and get some squeegees while I'm at it.  I usually just use old Credit Cards.  LOL

top left corner says 20.99 but it is + 3.00 for any colors just looking at it oracle 651 24"x10yd.

Ya that is the one it says film same thing.  Hope that helps you find the one now huh?  I now see why you where held up :- 

Just wanted to follow up and let everyone the cutter is up and running.  :thumbsup:

Once I figured out how many versions to back save the files (Illustrator version 8 if anyone wants to know), it didn't take two long to start producing useable decals. 

I order the cheap bundle of vinyl as well as all three of the sample vinyls.  Red, Black, and White.  USCutter tossed in some sample Blue while they were at it.  Nice little surprise.  ;D

The transfer tape in the start up bundle is cool because it's very clear, but it doesn't press down as well as the opaque stuff I've used in the past.  I may try some of the recommended transfer films mentioned if I ever run out of my supply.

I am a Mustang Car Club owner myself it cut my own decals and has Helped out alot. I have a 24 inch cutter and use oracal vinyl only.

When my cutter dies I will be getting a USCUTTER one next.... Great Place for your vinyl needs!!!!

I'm a Mustang owner and a Car Club Owner.  Not exactly a Mustang Car Club Owner.  :thumbsup:  We do have a large quantity of Mustangs in the club. LOL

I'm a Mustang owner and a Car Club Owner.  Not exactly a Mustang Car Club Owner.   :thumbsup:  We do have a large quantity of Mustangs in the club. LOL

send me link to the site when you get time. Thanks