Sign in to follow this  
JoeCamaro

How would you do this? Multicolor decals

I have planned a design which will have 2 colors and one is going to overlap the other.

The issue here is how to save vinyl.

Ok, design will have a text line and in the end it will have a graphic element beneath it. (See image 1)

I can cut the text in one color and the element in another color (see image 2)

How would you effectively place pink circle under black text?

I would put transfer tape to the black text and raise it from the backing paper, put the pink circle in place and put transfer paper (with decal) over the circle.

Now, there are 2 problems:

1. I would have to give it so much weeding space in order for the circle to fit in the area (which will consume much vinyl) or include the element in the other color too (see image 3) and then remove what is not needed (the black circle) and place the pink circle there.

2. What if the element is not one big mass (circle, square, etc) but an irregular shape with thin lines? I wont be able to just take it off the backing paper with my hand and place it under the black text.

How would you do this in order to save material? I thought I could find a backing paper (without the vinyl) and use only the required vinyl and then transfer everything to the backing paper and assemble the decal there. But still I will have problems when having an irregular element.

I dont know if you got me, even I got a bit confused, hahaha.

Thanx

post-1068-12986515677786_thumb.jpg

post-1068-12986515693313_thumb.jpg

I was asking my self the same question today when I logged in to ask. You have added some reasoning to my thoughts. But what if you could place lets say three layers of material, and set your knife depth to make three diffrent passes to cut out the image.

Heres what I do.

1) Place app. tape on a table (light table is best) sticky side up. Tape it down so it dose't move.

2) Apply first layer (TEXT) to app. tape and remove backing paper.

3) Apply second layer (CIRCLE) being careful to get it in the correct location, and remove the backing paper.

4) Apply an use peice of backing paper over the decal.

Hopes this helps

Bigmac

I thought of a way.

1. Cut your words and applly the application tape.

2. Peal back the application tape where you want your circle. (Words will peel up too.)

3. Place circle down on backing paper.

4. Lay application tape with words back down over circle.

This could be done either with or without the backing paper on the circle. If you do it with, you can peal back the application tape again and remove the backing from the circle.