Thanks for the step by step, when I get to my home computer I will give this a try.  Wish me luck.  Sounds simple enough.  So when I have a design that someone sent to me and I need to do this to it, how do i get the design to separate.

I am going to ad this image and see if maybe you can give me steps on how to start this one.  I cant get the words off the texas to be able to do anything with it.

post-7830-1298655408441_thumb.gif

post-7830-12986554109582_thumb.gif

Ok, now I don't know if you wanted one or multiple colors, so I'm guessing one.

I want to create a margin around the "x" and the "tre".

I shift click on the t r and e to select them.

Hit the + key to duplicate them in place.

This creates a duplicate object on top of the original.

I right click and combine these three objects.

I have filled the objects so it would be easier to see, and switched back to enhanced veiw.

I have moved the duplicate so you can see that there are a new set of "tre".

post-6789-12986554084843_thumb.jpg

post-6789-12986554109864_thumb.jpg

Ok, ctrlzd the duplicates back in place and opened my contour docker.

I want to apply a contour to the "tre", to the outside.

You will have to play around to find the right size contour.

Just apply and ctrl+z and adjust untill your are  ;D

post-6789-12986554085867_thumb.jpg

post-6789-12986554110709_thumb.jpg

Got a contour I like, now back to the object manager docker, right click on the contour group and select break countour group apart.

Now I have the black contour and the duplicate "tre".

post-6789-12986554086943_thumb.jpg

post-6789-12986554111549_thumb.jpg

Now I select the black contour around the "tre" and the "X" and "trim"

post-6789-12986554093987_thumb.jpg

post-6789-12986554112395_thumb.jpg

With the contour and the x trimmed, I drag the contour and the duplicate "tre" away and delete those.

post-6789-12986554136973_thumb.jpg

post-6789-12986554161725_thumb.jpg

Now I right click the bitmap (in the object manager docker) and unlock it and trash it. Combine everything and fill black,or whatever color you like. send to signcut and collect some presidents. ;D

post-6789-12986554138015_thumb.jpg

post-6789-12986554162613_thumb.jpg

Hope I shed a little light on the vectorizing monster.

Jump in, have fun, No fear ctrl+z ;D

Ok, So first i need to finish the H and R as you have outlined in your first couple of steps, to complete the design, then I continue with the rest of the steps to complete the design correct?

You are very talented, i hope someday I can be as comfortable with it as you are, I love this type of work, just wish i had more knowledge on it.

Thanks so much!  you have been a great help!

I don't mind doing things for others, but would rather teach you how to do it.

Believe me when I started I was very intimidated by coreldraw.

But after some playing around and searching youtube for tutorial videos I found out that it wasn't anything to be afraid of.

Yes you will have to finish the design, because I have deleted it and I'm not gonna do it over ;D

But I have given you a good starting point to launch.

You get stuck post an eps of what you have and I'm sure there are others here that will get you through it!

TSQUIRTS:  I went throught the steps, and think I did a pretty good job.  I will put the image up that i created shortly so you can see what you helped me do and maybe offer some constructive criticisim.  I feel pretty accomplished. 

The only thing was that i didnt have a choice at the end to unlock the image and wasnt sure what trashed meant, but somehow it worked out. 

Thanks again. 

Cam you offer any info on how to start when you have an image that is sent to you as a bitmap, and get the words separated from the image?  I have a texas that has images inside it and words on top of it and i cant figure out how to separate the images?;D

Devin

Thanks for the step by step, when I get to my home computer I will give this a try.  Wish me luck.  Sounds simple enough.   So when I have a design that someone sent to me and I need to do this to it, how do i get the design to separate.

I am going to ad this image and see if maybe you can give me steps on how to start this one.  I cant get the words off the texas to be able to do anything with it.

The reason you can't do anything with this image is that it is a gif image (bit map) it is not a vectored image.

For this to be an usable image for cutting it will need to be vectorized. It will have to be rebuilt in the vector format,

like we were doing with the xtreme image. If you can find the matching font you will not have to retrace all the letters,

you simply type them, size them, move them to where you want them and convert to curves.

ok, i see.  but in the middle of the design is a difficult design of squares,  when i tried to do it to that design, it kept moving my nodule line i guess becaue after making a complete box it thought i was done, how do i do this image? or do i have to just recreate the inside lines after outlining the outside of it?

post-7830-12986554146312_thumb.gif

post-7830-12986554167776_thumb.gif

When you finish your file, export it as an eps file and post it for us to look at.

Click the export icon, name the file, choose eps from the options in save a file.

post-6789-12986554149377_thumb.jpg

post-6789-12986554168053_thumb.jpg

In the object manager docker right click on the item you don't want moving around (like the bit map in the xtreme example) and choose "lock object"

post-6789-12986554150566_thumb.jpg

post-6789-1298655416889_thumb.jpg

Looks really good for a first try! ;)

I would clean it up a bit more and call it done.