Popeye

Scratch Engraving

Has anyone tried or had success at scratch engraving?  Also, is there a good source for a engraving tip that would fit either the pen or knife holder?

Thanks

There is one vendor on ebay offering an engraving tip and holder on ebay for $69. That's a little more than I want to pay to experiment... I was hoping to find a tip that fits the knife holder..

It would be interesting to hear from someone who's done this :huh:

I fabricated a "Carrier" for a diamond engraving bit for my Pcut.. I think the carrier will work fine.

The problem I ran into is what ever material I put in the cutter won't move... that without dropping the engraver. Seems the feed roller sets a little below the top of the work area.. pinch rollers pushes it down into that valley and all it does is spins.... Tried 4 pinch rollers and just two... went down to as thin as

0.018 thick and it still just sits there.. and spins.

Any suggestions ?  Anyone bought one of those kits?

Guest debogus

Bump wanted some info on anyone that has used their plotter to engrave.

I stumbled on to one of the kits on ebay thought it was neat ,but way to expensive to just check out.

So anybody buy the kit or home brew one yet?

Dave

Guest debogus

I seem to have with held some information :)

Ok this is my first try used the thinnest regular font I could find.(found some single line fonts in vinyl express but most seem to suck)

Substrate is that 2 color engraving plastic ,spray glued to a pc  of mylar sheet(use it at work for templates its .44mm thick)

Cutter a old plotter pen drilled out to hold a dremel carbide point

The smallest dave the D is 1/8"

First use for old pens was a pouncing bit

I am not going to blow 100 bucks for something that I can make for free in 15 minutes

next need to get some thin brass and aluminum sheet and maybe get a diamond bit

4057743098_40551014cb.jpg

I bought the engraving kit along with my SM24 but I have yet to remove it from the package.  Maybe that will be my weekend project.

I seem to have with held some information ;D

Ok this is my first try used the thinnest regular font I could find.(found some single line fonts in vinyl express but most seem to suck)

Substrate is that 2 color engraving plastic ,spray glued to a pc  of mylar sheet(use it at work for templates its .44mm thick)

Cutter a old plotter pen drilled out to hold a dremel carbide point

The smallest dave the D is 1/8"

First use for old pens was a pouncing bit

I am not going to blow 100 bucks for something that I can make for free in 15 minutes

next need to get some thin brass and aluminum sheet and maybe get a diamond bit

4057743098_40551014cb.jpg

Good work, and good results.  I tried something similar on acrylic with a plain steel electric engraver tip, detailed in a thread here:http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,15175.0.html

I planned on getting a diamond tip, but I don't have much need for engraving.

Guest debogus

Me neither.

I just have to find away to do everything myself.

Thought the same thing about the pouncing kit then one day a job popped up where I could use one.

So I through one together out of a pen ,a nail and a little spring ,worked flawless .

Same with this neat idea, perhaps wont need it, although I bet I will.

Me neither.

I just have to find away to  everything myself.

:rolleyes:;D  (Assuming you meant "I just have to find a way to DO everything myself)