pdqtom

1351 question, "unround" letters

My son and I have a 50" refine and have had no problems with communications or set-up. We are absolute "newbies" at this and  enjoy the sign business. I set my son up in this as a business of his own for a first job instead of flipping burgers or selling ice cream. I wanted him to experience aspects of being in business, ups, downs expenses and hopefully what profit feels like! He has done well in a short period of time.

Our question is about round letters. At about the "1 o-clock" position an virtually all rounded letters both uppercase and lower, that position is slightly clipped off or straightened from the full round appearance. We are using Flexipro 7.5. Has anybody experienced this or have an idea what to try. It happens on all fonts that we have tried. It also happens at all letter sizes.

Is it the plotter or the actual font?    A lot of windows fonts have these straight line corners that make the turns in about 5 straight moves.  It's fine for small print but looks like doodoo on a 5" font.  If it's the fonts themselves,  you can try to convert them to curves and either hand straighten them.  I use a program called EASY SIGN and it has a "round=off" feature that should be in EVERY cutting program.  It takes a measure, you specify and converts it to curves.  What happens is if the straight lins are 1/8" lops around the tip of a character, you tell the program roundoff 3/16's which will find all of those points making the curve, and average them around the direction they are going to make a curve. 

The best part of ROUND-OFF is actually with the cut.  If you eliminate all sharp points in a cut, it weeds better.  The dips in the letter M can be quite deep in some cases.  The round off feature shortens that path and lets the cutter blade do a nice clean swoop around versus a sharp direction change. 

Bill