lionsnwings

Cutter stops in the middle of a cut - I don't think it is static.

I have spent the last few hours trying to figure this out, can't seem to make any progress.

Symptoms:

When cutting a graphic on Oracal 631, the cutter stops about 25% into the cut.  After trying 3-4 times I switched over to some vinyl that I got when I bought the cutter (Calon) and it works fine. I switched back to 631, and it only cuts 25% of the graphic.

I don't think it is static/grounding issue as I added a grounding wire from the cutter to the stand (even tried 2nd wire when the first did not work).  The cutter is plugged directly into an outlet, can only assume it is grounded.

I am using SBE, USB port (checked and even tried changing the baud rate) and I don't have a serial port.  I have had the cutter for about two weeks and made several dozen cuts, with no problem until last night.  This is the most detailed graphic, with 5 or 6 colors, but this one color is not that detailed.

One thing I did notice is that in SBE, during the cutting process, the blue line that indicates where the cut will go stops on the screen, this is the exact spot where the cutter stops the cut.  I have attached a screenshot of SBE of one example.

Any suggestions??

I have also attached the SBE file.  It happens when I cut yellow.

screenshot.doc

bee seperate.SBD

screenshot.doc

bee seperate.SBD

I had some problems with the usb it would wiggle loose from the cutter. I used the serial which can be screwed to the cutter and the bought a serial to usb connetor at raioshack it cost 38.00 . connect it to the end of the serial cable then into the usb. I have not had any more problems. It seems that the usb cable just does not fit as snug and even just minor movement of the cutter can cause it to just stop getting the information.

Bring up the cutter menu then click on cutter setup on top of the page and make sure your measurements are correct.  Make sure the length is 1377.95 and everything is set in inches.  Also what you can try is if it stops cutting like that hit the enter button on your machine and see if it then continuers....

One thing you could try is to press the pause/offline button on the cutter,

let the cut screen do its thing, and when the small screen disappears, click the pause

button and let it cut away.

By doing this, you can see whether the problems lies with SBE or the cable.

One thing you could try is to press the pause/offline button on the cutter,

let the cut screen do its thing, and when the small screen disappears, click the pause

button and let it cut away.

By doing this, you can see whether the problems lies with SBE or the cable.

I couldn't do this.  If I hit cut, when the offline/pause button is lit, it doesn't send the graphic to the cutter.  When I un-select offline/pause it starts.

Here is another item I discovered today.

I ran several test cuts with no vinyl loaded in the machine, maybe 4-5 times, each time, no problem, the blue line in SBE completed the cut.  So I loaded my vinyl, first time the blue line stopped.

Regarding the serial to USB conversion, I bought one at Bestbuy.  When I plug the USB adapter into the USB port on my computer and the serial into the cutter, I get a found new hardware windows box that pops up.  I can't get SBE to communicate via the adapter.  Should I download the USB drivers again?

I had a disk that came with the serial to usb cable and yes I reinstalled the usb driver and  then restarted the computer with the cutter turned on. then went to sb and went to set up and selected the one that said com7 radioshack usb to serial .

I spoke with a customer to day (this very well could have been you) that had this exact same problem and solved it by running a ground from his pinch rollers. He said his problems arose from the static generated by the vinyl, that is why he never had the issue with paper. You may as well give this a shot and let us know how it goes. If that does not work please create a support ticket at support.uscutter.com

The more I work on this, the more I think it is static.  I was able to get the cut made, I put the cutter on the slowest speed and held my hand on the vinyl during the entire cut.  Since doing this I have had only one stop and 4-5 work.

I also recently selected (before my problems began) the pre-feed vinyl box on the cutter set up.  This possibly creates extra vinyl movement/static, maybe similar to why un-checking the weeding features helps.

I will try grounding the pinch roller, any suggestions on where I could ground the pinch roller? Seems to be a lot of plastic around the pinch roller. 

I have has the same thing happen to me, the bottom line it's not static.

I went old school and installed a RS232 card in my PC I have not in the past year had a problem.

I can answer why.

I notices the USB ports are shared on my DELL and something was over riding  or eating up the usage

Run all the ground wires you want I don't think it's going to work.

And when I had the problem it had been raining for two weeks. No static!

Your choice!

1 10 yard roll vinyl 16 bucks 1 rs 232 card 12 bucks 2nd roll vinyl 16 bucks rs232 cord 8 bucks.

If you got the port use it! Forget the USB port

CKR

http://www.intrex.com/parts/parts.aspx