Popeye

Coroplast Prep

Did a sign this AM using some coroplast... does this stuff require any prep other than being clean?

I did a wet application and it seemed to take FOREVER for the vinyl to stick. I'm using the approved "BannerJohn" app mix... water, alcohol and soap (not necessarily in that order)  :huh:

Thanks for the help

Nope. However I usually clean subtrates with rubbing alcohol.

I'll try cleaning with rubbing alcohol...

Not one once of crap left, about wore a hole through the app tape  :huh:

Thanks!

The rubbing alcohol will help. But I do all mine dry as well. It takes practice, but once you get the hang of it you wont have any bubbles.

I do some dry,some wet. Experience has taught me that some vinyl works great dry,some just doesn't work well at all dry. When I do wet, I squeegie well,and wait about 15 minutes before removing the tape.

I'm sure inexperience and possibly non cooperating type of vinyl play a roll in getting bubbles.

Really like being able to slide and adjust things though..

Would it be helpful to cover the coroplast with one piece of vinyl and let dry before we add the "pieces" on top? Vinyl to vinyl sticks fairly quickly (a lot faster than the coroplast) and it would help with the transparency issues on 2 sided signs.

Is this stuff made of PVC? Has any one glued two pieces together for a more rigid substrate?

We picked a few pieces locally.. it measures 0.18" or 4.5mm. Is that "standard" ?

Thanks again for all the help  :huh:

Honestly, I would not go that route. Practice, practice. It's tough to get a cloroplast with no bubbles, but it can definitely be done. They make thicker sizes, ask your supplier if they have any. Other colors will also help with transparency.

I see they offer it in 4mm, 6mm and 10mm

We're going to put a couple more together this AM, we'll see how it goes

Thanks again...  :)

The alcohol did help, that and being a little more patient letting it sit and dry.

(I know) Still applied it wet.. did I mention the alcohol helped  ;D

4mm does seem to be the most available..

Thanks again!

Alcohol speeds up the drying time. That's why I use it in my recipe.

Glad to hear that Popeye. Some prefer applying wet, some prefer applying dry. I personally like dry, saves me time and mess and a little money but it really does not cost much at all to make your own solution. You'll just get better and keep learning new things with experience, wet or dry. I think every one of us on here still learns something new in the biz every day.

I think every one of us on here still learns something new in the biz every day.

No doubt!!