Sign in to follow this  
Guest fivestar

Recieved My New LP

Guest fivestar

Well I recieved my new Laserpoint today.  I honestly never had time to mess with it much, damn work :thumbsup:.  Well I did take it out of the box and got it to work on my Refine stand, well it's in 3 of the 4 holes.  ;):);D I can tell you it is built more sturdier then the Refine, but so far I think the refine is easier to use.  I mean the Refine is as simple as it gets.  I am going to try to head down to the shop here in a little bit and goof with it to see how the contour cutting works as I never had a chance to mess with it at all today.

I'll post my findings on the contour cutting and other features when I get to try them out.

PLEASE DO, FIVESTAR UR FINDINGS WILL BREAK OR MAKE MY DECISION TO PURCHASE ONE. I CAN'T WAIT. :thumbsup:

Guest fivestar

OMG, this SignBlazer sux.  This has got to be the worst software I have ever seen since the dos days.  I don't think I will be contour cutting anything tonight, probably not ever with this machine if I can't get it to work with Flexi.

OMG, this SignBlazer sux.  This has got to be the worst software I have ever seen since the dos days.  I don't think I will be contour cutting anything tonight, probably not ever with this machine if I can't get it to work with Flexi.

SB isn't Flexi...but it's good software...just takes some getting used to. I've tried every major one out there and SB would be my second choice,after Flexi. But like I said, if you are used to Flexi...it takes some adjustment.

Guest fivestar

John this POS software is garbage.  It locks up my cutter, then when I do get it to work it don't cut anything like it's supposed to.  Then printing it prints registration marks in the wrong position for the contour cutting.

I'm sorry but if this was my first machine and this was my first software, I'd be returing it tomorrow.  No wonder so many ppl are set against US Cutter.  Now let me tell you the cutter cuts very nicely, UNDER FLEXI.  :thumbsup:

I just goofed around with it under flexi and it cut EVERYTHING like it's supposed too.  Now granted I haven't got the contour feature to work on it yet under flexi.  But that's my next project.

Well, Fivestar...I do share the same opinion of SBE (no offense to those that really like it).  Been using it for 2 months now...and I still don't like it.  But I guess that is because the interface is so far behind what current software interfaces are like (reminds me of the DOS days as well).  And the graphic rendering on the screen in SBE is terrible, too.  I do like the weeding flexibility in SBE, though.

SBE is the only program I've ever used or have experience with... it would be nice to try out Flexi, signcut, or some of the other programs to see how they compare. With that being said... I think SBE is broken down to be an user friendly program for someone new to the vinyl world. It's easy to learn, but has enough room to grow/features to keep the more experience people happy.

SBE does offer a low-cost all-in-one solution.  It's too bad SAi doesn't offer more features in their Flexistarter version.  I have been playing with a Flexi demo.  They definitely got the interface right.  But you have to pay quite a bit to get some of their nicer features (if you want to do all of your design and cutting within one software solution).  SBE does have one up on Flexi when it comes to weeding options, though.  I think Signcut, from what I've seen, has them all beat in that area.

Guest fivestar

Have you ever went into the production manager of flexi?  There's so many different weeding options in there.  I'm not putting down US Cutter, but the laserpoint machine really isn't anything more then a p-cut with a red dot laser from what I can tell. 

I haven't got into the contour cut much on SB since it kept locking my cutter up and I haven't on flexi yet, but I'd say you can do the exact same thing with a p-cut or refine for that matter as you can with the laserpoint as far as contour cutting goes.

John this POS software is garbage.  It locks up my cutter, then when I do get it to work it don't cut anything like it's supposed to.  Then printing it prints registration marks in the wrong position for the contour cutting.

I'm sorry but if this was my first machine and this was my first software, I'd be returing it tomorrow.  No wonder so many ppl are set against US Cutter.  Now let me tell you the cutter cuts very nicely, UNDER FLEXI.  :thumbsup:

I just goofed around with it under flexi and it cut EVERYTHING like it's supposed too.  Now granted I haven't got the contour feature to work on it yet under flexi.  But that's my next project.

One man's opinion.

I've never had any problems with SB at all. Not in design,or in cutting.I"ve never had it lock up once in over a year. I have been able to do eveything (and MORE) with it that I could do with Flexi Starter.

MY suggestion is to see if you can get it to contour cut with Flexi,or post in the Signblazer catagory and see if one of the many who have had success with SB and the LP will help you out.

Guest fivestar

One man's opinion.

I've never had any problems with SB at all. Not in design,or in cutting.I"ve never had it lock up once in over a year. I have been able to do eveything (and MORE) with it that I could do with Flexi Starter.

MY suggestion is to see if you can get it to contour cut with Flexi,or post in the Signblazer catagory and see if one of the many who have had success with SB and the LP will help you out.

John I'm not talking starter  :thumbsup:  I gotta copy from a friend that used to be in the business.  I actually had the software before I ever got my first cutter.  It's the full pro version.

I have the pro version as well. Comparing SBE to Flexi pro  is not only unfair,but just silly. IT's like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a mercedes. Forming an opinion and trashing a piece of software after a few hours use is also unfair. My opinion of Flexi starter after a few DAYS was pretty bad. But Istuck with it,and got it working,learned how to use it.

Ther are plenty of folks on here who have mastered the use of SB and successfully use it every day. MY brother included..and he was a TOTAL newbee both to cutters and software..and had no help from me.

I have noticed that US Cutter is offering FlexiStarter now with some models. A step forward, just as SB was a HUGE improvement over Artcut (useless) and SignCut (useless in every way except cutting)

I"m off to bed. A good night's sleep always helps me to think more clearly.

Good luck on contour cutting with Flexi.

I am moving this thread to the SB category,since that is where your problem is.

Guest fivestar

Maybe you missed the thread title and who said anything about SBE?  I've had SB for a yr and never seen a need to put it on my system since Flexi was so good.  I installed it today and it locked my system up, then I went to SBE and it did the same thing actually even worse.

Oh well I will give my honest review probably tomorrow and maybe someone from US Cutter will let it stay where I put it.  Anyone who is thinking about a laserpoint for the time being I would definitely NOT recommend it over a p-cut or refine at this time, but then again I have only used it for a couple hrs.

Ok. I'll move it back. Reason I moved it was because you didn't really say anything about the LP,good or bad. You just started off on SB. If you want help with contour cutting with SB,post it in the SB category.

Have you ever went into the production manager of flexi?  There's so many different weeding options in there.

Yes, I've tried them all in production manager...and SBE and Signcut beat them in that area.  The Easyweed and Powerweed features of SBE are great (not available in Flexi)...and Signcut allows you to position weeding lines every which way possible (most weeding flexibility out of the three products, IMO).  I like Flexi the best for overall performance and features, but they really could use more weeding functionality (and a lower price tag).  :thumbsup:

Got mine today.

Just wanted to jump in and say, from opening the box to my first cut, took maybe 3 hours, including assembling the stand, installing the drivers and learning the basics of SB (thanks to many useful forum posts, of course).  SBE is cheesy, but its not difficult to use by any means.

I havent used any other UScutter prod, but this thing rocks my socks.

Anybody considered a "open box to cut for dummies" type tutorial?  I know I was looking for one before I got this..

Guest fivestar

Yes midwaste, the "cutting feature" of SBE is simple, it's the contour cutting of a printed file that keeps locking up on me.  Maybe I am being a "little hard" on SB and SBE as they aren't in the same league as flexi in price or proformance.  I will be spending most of the day tomorrow going through both flexi and SB/SBE trying to get the contour cutting working with at least one of them.

As for the cutter itself, yes it is a very nice cutter, but I honestly don't think it is any different then the standard p-cut except they put a "laser", which is a laser pointer on it which I am sure a standard p-cut would contour cut from SB/SBE once you get it figured out.

BTW, congrats on your new purchase, it'll make its $$$$ back 10 times over very quickly.  lol I could actually "almost" pay for mine tomorrow with the work I got lined up, but they are projects not needing done for a few days so tomorrow is play with laserpoint day.  :thumbsup:

I don't have the time,energy,or motivation to look for it,but I seem to recall an update or bug fix that was posted some time ago about the problem of locking up. Make sure that your SBE is updated, read the thread on how to make the contour cuts,and good luck.

I agree that SB is not in the same league with Flexi. But try finding Flexi Pro for less than $500.

Guest fivestar

I just wanted to let everyone know, this machine does cut better then my refine on text.  It's ALOT more quiet then my refine. I still haven't figured out the contour cutting yet as SB/SBE still locks the machine up tighter then a gnat's ass (which is very tight).  I haven't had any luck with Flexi contour cutting either.

I think I am going to try the old "circle of stars" test and see if it cuts like the ole refine did on it.  :thumbsup:

Guest fivestar

OMG..... I know I shouldn't post this here, but I just found out how easy it was to contour cut with my Refine, my laserpoint won't work but my refine does.  It takes about 10 seconds to contour cut with it and Flexi.  Well I got me a new backup machine, the laserpoint.  lol

OMG..... I know I shouldn't post this here, but I just found out how easy it was to contour cut with my Refine, my laserpoint won't work but my refine does.  It takes about 10 seconds to contour cut with it and Flexi.  Well I got me a new backup machine, the laserpoint.  lol

You can contour cut with your Refine using Flexi? Impressive.

Gratz on the new cutter, I have had mine for months, I will have to try flexi if it is THAT much better than SBE... currently I use SBE for everything and think its pretty good... I have a copy of Flexi 7.6 Ill have to try it out..

Wayne