nl154

CE500-40 - freezes up at start

I have a CE5000-40 CRP that has become totally unusable. I've owned it since new and although it doesn't get used a lot, it has never been any trouble up to now.

It gets stuck before being able to do anything. For example it will ask to "LOAD MEDIA!!" but when you do, nothing else happens. But if you start it with media already loaded it gets stuck at "PRO V3.90HL>>>>" and can't go any further. The control panel seems to be working however because if you choose the various start up key combinations they take effect, but then it gets stuck. For example is it is powered up while pressing the UP ARROW it lets me scoll up or down through the modes and press ENTER to select one. However if I power it up while holding the DOWN ARROW it just shows "MODEL   7586" but doesn't allow anything else to happen. Also when powered up holding the LEFT and RIGHT ARROW keys it goes to "LOADER V1.10CRT" but then gets stuck again. Sometimes after a few minutes it then goes to "UPDATE - N" but it doesn't let you change to Y or even use enter to carry on.

Apprecaite if anyone has any ideas. I've physically inspected it internally and reseated all cables and tested ribbon cables for continuity etc.Also checked PSU is providing 24V.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

N

Not that it's any consolation to you, but sometimes, ya gotta just let it go.

It's like a car which starts to give ya problems, at what point is it still worth throwing more money at fixing and trying to keep it going?
You can replace the motherboard on that machine, which is probably the right solution, but those suckers are expensive.

Kind of sounds like it could be a motherboard issue. Once you've exhausted all other ideas, might try reloading the firmware on it.

Thanks all for feeding back. I'm obviously at clutching straws stage and not looking to spend out more on the thing. Happy enough to put bit more time here and there though it anything worth trying. I did think reloading firmware would be worth a go but I don't think I can even do that as it freezes up before contirming option to update! Frustrating thing but I realise a replacement machine looking more likely. Can't really justify a new Graphtec though for the little its used, but maybe get something a few years old.

We feel your pain, man.

Losing function on a machine out of the clear blue is always annoying, especially when it happens as a job is pending!

The Titan2 for a grand might be a good option, if you're seeking to remain at the servo-cutter level and not break the bank.

If you want to 'downgrade' to a decent stepper unit, the SC2 might fit the bill, at a sale price (24") of $400 (including stand, media basket, and VM software). It's a cutter that I have been using for years, grinding away at jobs big and small, it's a workhorse.