Sign in to follow this  
FlowStudio

Roland BN-20A End of Roll Error

Our print shop utilizes the Roland BN20-A to do constant overnight printing, typically, when it reaches the end of the roll it'll stop and pause/cancel and future print jobs as expected.

Last night, it didn't stop when it reached the end of the material, and instead continued to print every job left on the list, causing it to reprint and re-cut in the same area over in over again. As seen in the attached photo, it used a lot of ink, and eventually cut straight through the material, the sticker on the left got caught underneath the head and was carried and wedged inside next to the wipers, additionally there was tons of little shreds of paper strewn around the printer which I had to clean out which I imagine could've been catastrophic to the print head.

Today, I went through a manual cleaning, headwash, replaced the blade, etc, the printer still functions properly and has no apparent issues. 

I'm unsure as to what may have caused this, so I am wondering if anyone may know what may have went wrong and if there is a way to fix this so we don't have to monitor the roll ourselves and stop it manually in the future. It is not an urgent situation, as it can be easily avoided, but, it'd be much more convenient to not have to worry about reaching the end of the roll and having it do something like this again. If not, we'll probably end up contacting Roland support about it instead. 

If it is of any importance, this is the material we were using at the time: https://uscutter.com/orajet-3651-intermediate-calendered-pvc-inkjet-media/ , And we're printing via Versaworks. 

Thanks for the help!

20230301_094107.jpg

It could be a very long wait to get an answer here.  Just contact Roland support.  There is only a couple hand fulls of members here that answer questions, We are mostly cutting vinyl.  I am here almost every day, I don't know of any of us that owns a Roland BN20-A, that has ever been mentioned.  We are just volunteers here.  Roland has a forum.

• Like 1

I hate it when that happens. Everything is going along Roses, and then BAM! Ya get a thorn.

If I was to just guess, it seems like an optical sensor went kaput.

• Like 1

Quite possibly as slice and dice mentioned, optical sensor might have malfunctioned or may be the cause of static buildup due to movement of PVC Vinyl that might have caused the tracker to malfunction. As skeeter said, the best suited answer will come from their tech support of forum

• Like 1

Thanks guys, we will look into getting into contact with Roland Support. Didn't realize they had a forum of their own, so I'll refer to there as well.  

optical sensor might have malfunctioned or may be the cause of static buildup due to movement of PVC Vinyl that might have caused the tracker to malfunction.

I had assumed it may have been some sort of sensor fault, but couldn't be too sure, and never even considered static buildup. Good to know, thank you guys for trying to help!