vbndoug

What is the best way to remove old outdoor vinyl?

My company was recently acquired. With that change, I need to change the signage. The vinyl has been on the sign for years, 10+.

I used soap and water and a scraper on one side. Few spots scraped up the aluminum board and still a lot of residue left behind.

Any suggestions?

My company was recently acquired. With that change, I need to change the signage. The vinyl has been on the sign for years, 10+.

I used soap and water and a scraper on one side. Few spots scraped up the aluminum board and still a lot of residue left behind.

Any suggestions?

Any reason why you want to keep the old Aluminum board for the factory?

The only reason I can think of might be if the aluminum board is hard riveted to the warehouse walls

Use heat gun to warm it up and then peel it off. Make sure, it is just warmed up, not cooked as Aluminum will buckle under heat too. For the residue, dab a cloth in turpentine, rub over the board and leave it for about 10 mins.

For new substrate, give Maxmetal or Dibond (both trade names for Aluminum Composite panel) used for Cladding a try

Definitely weigh the cost of new signage vs. time and effort spent. If the vinyl is that difficult to remove, and the sign is removable, I would opt to purchasing new substrate and doing a fresh sign. No doubt the original signage will be less than ideal to prep for decent vinyl installation.

• Like 2

May be a picture of the signage will help (including the boards). Obviously, getting a new board in and putting the print.decals on it will be quickest and easiest way

• Like 1

In any case, here's two ideas for working with adhesive residue removal, as well as scraping off vinyl decals.

1. GooGone -- (citrus)  https://googone.com (my work caddy wouldn't be complete without it)

2. https://uscutter.com/orafol-lil-chizlers-pink These things are awesome, perfect for avoiding the scratches that razor blades will cause. (especially for getting letters off vehicle doors).

caddy.jpg

• Like 1

I did forget to mention, the sign is shared with other companies. I was able to get the old off and used goo gone for adhesive. Some of the white paint has come off, so I am going to put some white vinyl down and logo on top..  

OK, Doug, glad you checked back in with that new info. We always like to see resolution, especially when our comments prove to be useful.

Your placing the white vinyl down first as an underlayment is the best proposition, especially since any vinyl that has been on a surface for that long will invariably leave a 'shadow' when taken off (left behind from the outdoors exposure to UV light).

I just did a sign for a mechanic's garage and had to flip the acrylic substrate over because of that effect. The back was crisp and clean, while the face had the old lettering outlines still 'etched'

• Like 1

Any reason why you want to keep the old Aluminum board for the factory?

The only reason I can think of might be if the aluminum board is hard riveted to the warehouse walls

Use heat gun to warm it up and then peel it off. Make sure, it is just warmed up, not cooked as Aluminum will buckle under heat too. Here. For the residue, dab a cloth in turpentine, rub over the board and leave it for about 10 mins.Here.

For new substrate, give Maxmetal or Dibond (both trade names for Aluminum Composite panel) used for Cladding a try

I also think that the best option is to use a heat gun! And of course it's easier to buy a new vinyl!

• Like 1