Nicole B

Punch out from 2 Curves

I purchased an .ai file (screenshot of image attached). It's a dog with different colored legs. I need to ONLY cut the portion of the legs that are below the curved lines, I don't want to cut the dog body. Both the body and the 2 separate lines were created using curves.  I have tried highlighting the body and lines and using punch, trim, intersect, keep, etc. everything to try and slice this body away. just leaving the legs, but nothing works. It just makes either the dog body disappear or just make the leg lines disappear. What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot 2023-02-15 16.18.30.png

See the information on the right. It seems it has 3 different nodes/curve. What I believe from the screenshot are it is separate for the body, separate for the legs and separate for the curved joiners. I may be wrong, but we need to have a look at the actual file to suggest what is the issue. Any chance you can share it, then we can have a look if it suits you

copy > paste > edit out the nodes you don't need until you're left with what you're looking for.

Can't you ungroup it?   Select all of it, As in arrange>ungroup.    Then select the legs.  

No this does not work, you can see what it looks like when I ungroup in the screenshot I attached.

copy > paste > edit out the nodes you don't need until you're left with what you're looking for.

Per your reply, I tried this and while I can delete most of the nodes of the body, once I get down around the curve in the legs, it starts changing the shape of the legs as I try to delete nodes. I tried using the break curve tool (my first time using that) but for some reason it doesn't break the curve like in the video I watched but instead just changes the shape of the curve.

See the information on the right. It seems it has 3 different nodes/curve. What I believe from the screenshot are it is separate for the body, separate for the legs and separate for the curved joiners. I may be wrong, but we need to have a look at the actual file to suggest what is the issue. Any chance you can share it, then we can have a look if it suits you

Yes, the left leg line is the first curve, the right leg line is the second curve and the body is the third curve.  I have attached the ai file.   Please note there are a lot of other images in that file, I had just deleted them out for the initial screenshot to make it simpler to explain.

Dachshund.ai

Screenshot 2023-02-16 10.09.20.png

Actually, I did it in graphtec pro studio.

I don't know if I could say what I did 10 min ago. Just kind of winged it and it worked.

• Haha 1

Actually, I did it in graphtec pro studio.

I don't know if I could say what I did 10 min ago. Just kind of winged it and it worked.

bikemike - I really appreciate your help, this helps me finish my project.

BUT if anyone knows how to accomplish this in vinyl master I would really appreciate the advice, as I will need to do this type of thing a lot. Thanks!

I don't know vinylmaster but this is how I did it in Illustrator.

You select everything, then you go to the Shape builder tool then select the area on either side of the curves. It will make the wireframe into three separate shapes

separated.ai

I don't know vinylmaster but this is how I did it in Illustrator.

You select everything, then you go to the Shape builder tool then select the area on either side of the curves. It will make the wireframe into three separate shapes

separated.ai

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately I don't have AI but if I ever get it, I'll have the instructions. Thank you.

Vinyl master is really good at a lot of things, but node editing them is not one of them, at least it's not a skill I've figured out yet. I played around with this for awhile and can't come up with a way to do in in Vinyl Master.

Inkscape however, I did it in about 2 min. I used Bezier tool to join the two make the two blue lines into a closed shape that covered the entire body of the dog. I then punched the new shape out of the dog and the only thing left was the legs.

I have to believe something like this is possible in Vinyl Master but how to do it eludes me.

Vinyl master is really good at a lot of things, but node editing them is not one of them, at least it's not a skill I've figured out yet. I played around with this for awhile and can't come up with a way to do in in Vinyl Master.

Inkscape however, I did it in about 2 min. I used Bezier tool to join the two make the two blue lines into a closed shape that covered the entire body of the dog. I then punched the new shape out of the dog and the only thing left was the legs.

I have to believe something like this is possible in Vinyl Master but how to do it eludes me.

Thanks Darcshadow, I'll take a look at Inkscape

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.